Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it normal for one skimmer to have stronger suction?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it normal for one skimmer to have stronger suction?

In the pool, I've got two skimmers at opposite ends of the pool, along with a main drain (well, a pair of main drains that are right by each other). Both skimmers certainly get suction and do a good job it seems, but one skimmer definitely has a bit more suction strength than the other. Is this normal?
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it normal for one skimmer to have stronger suction?

Depends how the plumbing was done. Certainly does not currently sound ideal. Any valves? Maybe need to adjust the float diverters under one of the skimmer baskets?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

On the pad there are separate valves (one for one skimmer, one for the other skimmer, and one for the main drain). They all look like they're set to full open. And I'm not sure what float diverters are - could you explain more?
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You probably don't have flow diverters since your skimmers and drain are plumbed separately back to the pump. If you want the skimmers to have the same suction it sounds like you can close the stronger skimmer valve a little bit.

My two skimmers are plumbed together on the same line back to the pump. The skimmer farther from the pump and on the opposite side of the pool from the pump, has slightly less flow/suction than the closer one does. I assume because it is sucking water a farther distance. But, both get plenty of leaves in them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I would close the floor about half way and then close the stronger skimmer until you like the balance.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would close the floor about half way and then close the stronger skimmer until you like the balance.
    Dumb question, but when you say to close the floor drain, you mean just to adjust the skimmers, right? You'd open the floor drains back up after adjusting the skimmers, correct?

Sorry, I'm new to all this. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm thinking he means to keep the drain closed to divert more suction to the skimmers. I have a valve at the pump that controls flow between skimmer/drain and I keep it at about 80% skimmer and 20% drain because I prefer to have most of my water move through the skimmers for max leaf skimming.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
    On the pad there are separate valves (one for one skimmer, one for the other skimmer, and one for the main drain). They all look like they're set to full open. And I'm not sure what float diverters are - could you explain more?
    You don't need them since somebody plumbed your pad well. Just put the word "float diverter" out of your mind because they won't even work in your setup.

I concur with the other suggestion. Put the main drain valve at half way. Leave the weak skimmer full open. Close the stronger skimmer until the turbulence inside the skimmer wells match. Or toss a ping pong ball or some styrofoam peanuts out in front and see that they get sucked in at the same speed on both skimmers.

The only time to have the main drain open full is when you're brushing a bunch of sediment or draining water using the pool pump. You'll have the skimmers shut then.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!