Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep your pool okay with least maintenance possible?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How to keep your pool okay with least maintenance possible?

Hi,
    Just bought a house with an in-ground liner pool. I'm totally new to pool things. As summer is more or less finished for us, I'm looking into ways to keep the pool "aesthetically clean" with least maintenance possible. I don't want to run the pump all day as I don't like the noise it creates nor I want to spend time doing with chemical things everyday. My ideal goal would be to make the pool a clean pond in my backyard. I don't mind seeing some green dust in the pool as long as the water doesn't stink and I can clean up later once the summer begins. Am I asking too much?
    Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to keep your pool okay with least maintenance possible?

so you want to find a way to create an algae filled pool? um...if you like green pools, then just ask the pool store to give you advice

we are all about accurate testing and adding chemicals as needed and keeping the pool crystal clear. not really sure what you are asking, are you looking to close the pool for the winter? if so, we have instructions for that. need some more info what you are looking for.

here are the pool closing instructions: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

you basically shut down the pool, the pump isn't running, etc
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Heck, it's going to freeze soon, so it won't be stinky.

Seriously, though. I used to live in Detroit, MI when I was younger. I would read the sections on closing a pool and do what it recommends. Then be ready for next year!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is very easy and very little work to keep a pool clear of algae following the methods that we teach. The cornerstone is one of the Recommended Test Kits.

It is true that you likely will be shutting down your pool soon. Take a look at this article: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

It is much more work to keep a kinda-green pool from going too bad than it is to keep a clear pool clear. TFPC is a very easy and cost efficient way to keep things looking good and feeling good. Best advice I can give is to get a test kit as linked above and use this time to practice with it and get a feel for the system. If stored indoors the kit will last all of next season and probably still good the season after, so do things correctly now and you will save yourself a lot of hassle come next Summer.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    so you want to find a way to create an algae filled pool? um...if you like green pools, then just ask the pool store to give you advice

we are all about accurate testing and adding chemicals as needed and keeping the pool crystal clear. not really sure what you are asking, are you looking to close the pool for the winter? if so, we have instructions for that. need some more info what you are looking for.

here are the pool closing instructions: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

you basically shut down the pool, the pump isn't running, etc
    I remember reading some where that you should close the pool as late as possible to keep algae from growing. So it may be two more months (?) for us. I just don't want to spend too much time in those two idle months. Seems that it's not possible. Still ask anyway

7. Back To Top    #7

What is too much time? 3 minutes a day?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Those "idle months" could be used to great purpose in getting the pool ship-shape. You will increase your odds of starting clear in Spring if you address things now.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What is too much time? 3 minutes a day?
    How come? It's at least 30 min for me: Pick up leaves, clean skimmer, take water sample, mix and dispense chem. Not to mention I hate the noise of running pump in my quiet backyard Sign.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You can build an enclosure around the pump. It doesn't have to be much. Could even use some old pallets if you don't mind the look. Line it with foam board insulation and it will be hard to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

I do find it odd that your pump is that loud though. Might be something that needs looking into. Mine is usually so quiet that when I need to empty the basket I can tell because it gets a louder, almost hum to it. Otherwise I can hardly hear it. It's a little whirring sound that's all.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Is this post a plant from the folks over at troublefilledpools.com?
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Bonjour, it is not even necessary to run the pump all day, a few hours per day is enough. As long as the water surface is being kept clean. If you put the pump on a timer you can have it run overnight. See this link. As for now, if you wont be using the pool for the rest of the year, at least add some bleach or liquid chlorine from canadian tire every day or two, and keep the pH in the mid-7's. we dont know how much chlorine you will need to put in though as you didnt say the volume of your pool.

For long term use, since you want least maintenance and chemicals, a salt water chlorine generator would be ideal for you, as it creates chlorine for you.

It is agreed it is better to close the pool after the temp goes under 60F for good as algae wont grow below that temperature (assuming it is kept algae free until then).

Whatever you decide, keep in mind that a pool does involve some daily maintenance or it will get out of control, both chemically or algae-wise. As said above the Trouble Free method does not take a lot of time daily. Hope you can spend some time to read all the articles above in the Pool School and see how easy it is. Bon chance!
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100