Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electric bill skyrockets after installing vs pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Electric bill skyrockets after installing vs pump

I replaced my old whisperflow pump about a month and a half ago. My electric bill was running about $400 in the summer months so I went with an Intelliflo VS pump and have it running on speed two for 4 hours and speed 3 for four hours each day. I was excited to get my bill today being that it would be the first full month with the pump. I was shocked to get my highest bill ever at $565.00, especially considering that we were on vacation and no one was home using electricity for 3 weeks out of the month. I am completely at a loss of what to do. Has anyone ever experienced this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electric bill skyrockets after installing vs pump

How many hp was your old pump? Do you know how many watts it used when running? I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine and it draws 150 watts. I run it at 1950 rpm when solar heat kicks on and it uses 550 watts. I can run my pump 24x7 at 1100 rpm for less than 12 bucks a month.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

The old pump was a 1 hp running at 3450 watts for 8 hours per day. The new pump is showing 2450 watts on speed 3 for 4 hours and 1000 watts on speed 2 for four hours. I'm tempted just to drop it down to speed 1 24/7 and see how it does. It shows about 110 watts on the lowest speed.

4. Back To Top    #4

IMO, you might want to consider some other variables.
    1. Was the meter read correctly? I personally have had issues with the electric company and water company "estimating" my reading. The last time it occurred just so happened to be the month I filled my pool. When I received my bill, it was 6,000 gallons. I knew for a fact that I put 13000+ into the pool. I went out and read the meter the day I received the bill, and in 6 days since their "supposed" read, I had used 19,000 gals. This is the first thing I would consider. Was your previous month bill abnormally low? On my electric bill, they actually have a code that signifies whether it was Read (R) or Estimate (E)

2. I am not familiar with the weather in your area. Where I am at, just because no one is home, does not mean no electricity is used. Especially in the summer heat. My house would be 90+ if I turned off my ACs

I ran my 1.5 hp pump on high speed for a month when the pool was first opened and I estimated it cost no more than 60 - 80
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

See this article, Determining Pump Run Time.

You are running at too high of speed for too long of a period which is costing you money. Eight hours at round 1000 RPMs is likely enough for most pools. If you add your pool information to your signature we can offer more advice per your pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Your first post! I forgot, welcome to TFP!
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the help. I will add my pool info to my signature. I was running the pump at lower speeds but when we got back from vacation, it was a swamp. It is 19000 gallons and I cannot remember the dimensions so I will ask my husband when he gets home. He takes care of the pool but I do all the programming for the pump. We live in the high desert so our summers are consistently 100 degrees daily. This is only our second year in this house so we are newbies with the pool. Where we are we use swamp coolers as opposed to air conditioners and they don't cost much to run. When I called Edison this morning they told me it may take a while for the pump to acclimate and be consistent. That doesn't sound right to me.

8. Back To Top    #8

Electric bill skyrockets after installing vs pump

Swamp coolers. Grew up in El Paso and love those things.
    Most be an awesome motor on that pump if it has the ability to "acclimate." btw, sarcastic does not come across in text. My statement was at the top of the charts in sarcasm.

9. Back To Top    #9

The Intelliflo VS should be able to tell you the # watts that are being used based on the run speed (rpm) you have set. You can then multiply that out with your electricty cost and come up with a monthly cost. Do you happen to have the Pentair Easytouch system?
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

10. Back To Top    #10

I couldn't believe it when that gal from Edison told me about "acclimating". I thought that sounded ridiculous! We don't have the pentair easy touch system. I do see the watts on the control panel so I cannot possibly see how our bill this month would be so high since we were using far less watts with the new pump. I'm totally stumped. I'm going to check our meter every day and see how it is looking. The pump we bought is Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Earld View Post
    Thank you for the help. I will add my pool info to my signature. I was running the pump at lower speeds but when we got back from vacation, it was a swamp. It is 19000 gallons and I cannot remember the dimensions so I will ask my husband when he gets home. He takes care of the pool but I do all the programming for the pump. We live in the high desert so our summers are consistently 100 degrees daily. This is only our second year in this house so we are newbies with the pool. Where we are we use swamp coolers as opposed to air conditioners and they don't cost much to run. When I called Edison this morning they told me it may take a while for the pump to acclimate and be consistent. That doesn't sound right to me.
    The swamp wasn't caused by running on low speed unless you have a SWG and it wasn't producing FC because the flow was too low. The swamp was caused by not having enough FC per your CYA level.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

So interestingly, my husband came home and decided to double check our meter and the bill. They are off by 865 kwh on our bill so now Edison is supposed to be sending someone out to re-read the meter so we will see. I'm not sure how they could be so far off but I'm hoping it's just that and nothing going on with our electric or pool pump. Thanks for all the help!

13. Back To Top    #13

hi and welcome
    calculating your old pump equals around 27.6kw
    your vs pump equals 11.8kw
    so substantially less
    just read your above post about incorrect meter read
    anyway what i was going to add
    any sudden increase in electricity bill is usually caused by refrigerator motor running too long due to losing pressure
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

14. Back To Top    #14

Glad to hear you might have a simple resolution. You invested in a great pump and have discovered a great website that can help in more ways than you can imagine. There is definitely some good reading and if you are interested in take control of your pool and saving some money doing it, this is the place with all the answers.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

You keep referring to speed 1, speed 2, speed 3, as if they are fixed speeds. The beautiful things about a VS pump (I have the same model pump) is that you can fine tune a specific speed for each task. I have dialed in exactly what speed I need to run for my solar heating system, a different minimum speed for the in floor cleaning system, and a minimum to keep the SWG working.

My pump spends most of its running time drawing less than 150 watts, vs my old single speed pump using 3,000 watts.

Do some experimentation and find at what minimum speed you need to run your pump.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

1 HP is 746 watts (you meant 3450 rpm). You need to run your pump at a much slower rpm to be equivalent to your old pump's power. Run your pump and start dialing down the rpms and watch the watts drop as well.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    You keep referring to speed 1, speed 2, speed 3, as if they are fixed speeds. The beautiful things about a VS pump (I have the same model pump) is that you can fine tune a specific speed for each task. I have dialed in exactly what speed I need to run for my solar heating system, a different minimum speed for the in floor cleaning system, and a minimum to keep the SWG working.

My pump spends most of its running time drawing less than 150 watts, vs my old single speed pump using 3,000 watts.

Do some experimentation and find at what minimum speed you need to run your pump.
    That is correct. I have reprogrammed speed 1 to 1100 rpm, speed 2 to 1950 rpm, speed 3 to 1500 rpm and speed 4 to 2500 rpm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

The old pump was a 1 hp running at 3450 watts for 8 hours per day. The new pump is showing 2450 watts on speed 3 for 4 hours and 1000 watts on speed 2 for four hours. I'm tempted just to drop it down to speed 1 24/7 and see how it does. It shows about 110 watts on the lowest speed.
    Your old 1 hp pump could not consume 3450 Watts. 3450 is the RPM of a single speed motor. My 2 hp single speed pump uses around 2450 Watts (11 amp x 220 volts).
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

19. Back To Top    #19

I suspect you mean 3450 RPM. A 1 HP Whisperflo would use 1800 watts maximum or about 14 kwh per day (which was too much run time to begin with). Your new pump is using about 14 kwh per day too. Your speeds are too high to realize any cost savings. Dropping the speed down will help but you really shouldn't need 24 hrs either. 4-6 hours should be more than enough.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater