Aerating pool water? Does a sheer waterfall count?

flipr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2015
Punta Gorda, FL (SW FL)
Having little trouble keeping PH steady, we have a 3' waterfall that runs all the time. Is that enough water movement to be considered aerating, and raise the PH?
Hasn't rained in the last 3 days, but PH keeps climbing with little activity in the pool. Reading that aerating is a good way to raise PH when rest of chemicals are in line, was just wondering if our waterfall was doing that.

Pump is running about 10 hours a day.

Thanks much

what is your TA reading? higher TA readings will make your pH rise faster. I see you have a 2 speed pump, if you are running it on the low speed, 10 hours might not be incorrect. with a SWG you gotta balance the output % and the pump run time. If you decrease the pump run time you will have to increase the % output on the SWCG.

what is your TA reading? higher TA readings will make your pH rise faster. I see you have a 2 speed pump, if you are running it on the low speed, 10 hours might not be incorrect. with a SWG you gotta balance the output % and the pump run time. If you decrease the pump run time you will have to increase the % output on the SWCG.

Last TA test earlier this week was 90, trying to keep it at 70-80, but evidently my scale was off and I added a little too much baking soda, as numbers rose higher than I wanted per PM formulas.

I'm guessing that raised my PH as well, but added some Muratic acid to lower it, and it didn't drop per PM either, so little perplexed. Thought the aeration might be contributing.

ok, don't add any more baking soda. TA doesn't need to be added unless you are having issues with low pH, don't worry about trying to keep it at any specific level. just keep lowering the TA until you get to a point where your pH rise is very slow. im down to about 60 right now and only have to drop pH once a week and with a small amount of acid. you want to focus on your pH, not your TA. luckily, constant lowering of your pH is also reducing your TA, so the solution to both is the same. just don't worry about the "recommended" TA amounts and being within range. that's not important. and with SWG pools, you are going to be lower too. I am probably going to be perfect when my TA is 50 I bet. I started at 140

Hello flipr,

Since you have had a couple issues on the adds not coming out to what PoolMath said they should, I need to ask if you are you certain you have your gallons in there correct?

Generally as long as the pool size gallons is correct PoolMath calculations can place your levels exactly where it says it will.

Perhaps try changing your pool size gallons a little next time, and see if that helps get you closer to your anticipated level.

EDIT: I do see where you said it could have been that your scale might have been the issue. So if that's the case then, of course, changing the gallons wouldn't help the situation. Only a new accurate scale would. :)

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day :)

pool math is great, but pH changes are not super accurate. no biggie, if you added X amount expecting to get a .5 drop in pH and only got 0.3...add more :)

you can test your pH 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid and then add more if needed.

Thanks all, I do the maintaining, and have to be gone for a couple weeks, so trying to get it 'perfect' before I go. My wife likes the pool store, but as proven here its not real accurate. Convenient, and gives her a reason to go to the strip mall, but not accurate enough.

Pool has been clear all along, no issues in that regard, just don't want any to start either!

Enjoy a good labor day all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.