Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerating pool water? Does a sheer waterfall count?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerating pool water? Does a sheer waterfall count?

Having little trouble keeping PH steady, we have a 3' waterfall that runs all the time. Is that enough water movement to be considered aerating, and raise the PH?
    Hasn't rained in the last 3 days, but PH keeps climbing with little activity in the pool. Reading that aerating is a good way to raise PH when rest of chemicals are in line, was just wondering if our waterfall was doing that.

Pump is running about 10 hours a day.

Thanks much
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerating pool water? Does a sheer waterfall count?

Short answer: yes.

Expanded answer: filtering ten hours a day is probably more than you need. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great thanks so much! Going by builders recommendations, will take a look at your link
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

4. Back To Top    #4

what is your TA reading? higher TA readings will make your pH rise faster. I see you have a 2 speed pump, if you are running it on the low speed, 10 hours might not be incorrect. with a SWG you gotta balance the output % and the pump run time. If you decrease the pump run time you will have to increase the % output on the SWCG.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    what is your TA reading? higher TA readings will make your pH rise faster. I see you have a 2 speed pump, if you are running it on the low speed, 10 hours might not be incorrect. with a SWG you gotta balance the output % and the pump run time. If you decrease the pump run time you will have to increase the % output on the SWCG.
    Last TA test earlier this week was 90, trying to keep it at 70-80, but evidently my scale was off and I added a little too much baking soda, as numbers rose higher than I wanted per PM formulas.

I'm guessing that raised my PH as well, but added some Muratic acid to lower it, and it didn't drop per PM either, so little perplexed. Thought the aeration might be contributing.
    Phil

6. Back To Top    #6

ok, don't add any more baking soda. TA doesn't need to be added unless you are having issues with low pH, don't worry about trying to keep it at any specific level. just keep lowering the TA until you get to a point where your pH rise is very slow. im down to about 60 right now and only have to drop pH once a week and with a small amount of acid. you want to focus on your pH, not your TA. luckily, constant lowering of your pH is also reducing your TA, so the solution to both is the same. just don't worry about the "recommended" TA amounts and being within range. that's not important. and with SWG pools, you are going to be lower too. I am probably going to be perfect when my TA is 50 I bet. I started at 140
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Hello flipr,

Since you have had a couple issues on the adds not coming out to what PoolMath said they should, I need to ask if you are you certain you have your gallons in there correct?

Generally as long as the pool size gallons is correct PoolMath calculations can place your levels exactly where it says it will.

Perhaps try changing your pool size gallons a little next time, and see if that helps get you closer to your anticipated level.

EDIT: I do see where you said it could have been that your scale might have been the issue. So if that's the case then, of course, changing the gallons wouldn't help the situation. Only a new accurate scale would.

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

8. Back To Top    #8

pool math is great, but pH changes are not super accurate. no biggie, if you added X amount expecting to get a .5 drop in pH and only got 0.3...add more

you can test your pH 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid and then add more if needed.
    Dan

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks all, I do the maintaining, and have to be gone for a couple weeks, so trying to get it 'perfect' before I go. My wife likes the pool store, but as proven here its not real accurate. Convenient, and gives her a reason to go to the strip mall, but not accurate enough.

Pool has been clear all along, no issues in that regard, just don't want any to start either!

Enjoy a good labor day all.
    Phil