Taylor K-100 PH Indicator (How to read)

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Unfortunately, in order to protect myself, I will have to have my water tested (probably every 2 weeks) at the PB and keep the results. This is all due to an issue where screws rusted and Hayward sent me a different type (where now there is no rust 2 days later) & I am keeping my fingers crossed. They blamed it on PH and chemistry issues (go figure), so I gave in and paid them to replace the trim pieces, niche ring, gasket, retaining screw, etc. The cost was minimal if you consider the cost of the parts.

Yesterday, I tested PH at around 7.5 on the Taylor K-1000 Test Kit. Each morning, I repeat this process and I believe that the colors are pretty easy to spot at this point. Even if the PH was at 7.6, that still would be fine. They were testing 7.8 and I explained to him that I use the Taylor Kit. He said the computerized testing is more accurate. (Let's not get into this conversation), and I am within the 7.2 to 7.8 range. Although, I am afraid if I test 7.8, they will test a lot higher.

Here is my real question:

If I hold it up in the air, I see a reading of 7.5. If I have it against a white aluminum, the reading is more like 7.8. In the TFP Community, how do we interpret "arms length"? Arms length from my eyes, or the vile has to be arms length from the white surface as this makes a difference. I always do this outside as the lighting is better, back away from the sun.

If my PH matches the PB, it makes my life easier for Warranty purposes. They did not even try to sell me chemicals as they understand.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

Holding up to the sky (not toward sun) is the way I have always tested.
The siding is reflected light (it's also been through the liquid twice) and this will not read correctly.

Holding up to the sky (not toward sun) is the way I have always tested.
The siding is reflected light (it's also been through the liquid twice) and this will not read correctly.

Agreed. The design of the cell and test is for bright, indirect, ambient light to come through the back of the cell to your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambient, white light is the best. Sky background on a sunny day. I have lots of issues discerning colors if I do it indoors with incandescent lighting, wall colors, etc. If you have trouble, sometimes I find it helpful to cover every reference color but one and see if the sample matches. Then do the same with other reference rectangles.

That is what I thought. Thanks for your help.

Ironically, no "phosphates" and we all know that this means nothing. Next week, my phosphates will be 1,000 and then 200. This all depends on how much they like to go "swimming" LOL. It is too bad that I have to make visits weekly just so my warranty is there for the next few years. No big deal. Maybe I can convince the workers to join TFP :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.