Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor K-100 PH Indicator (How to read)

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Taylor K-100 PH Indicator (How to read)

Unfortunately, in order to protect myself, I will have to have my water tested (probably every 2 weeks) at the PB and keep the results. This is all due to an issue where screws rusted and Hayward sent me a different type (where now there is no rust 2 days later) & I am keeping my fingers crossed. They blamed it on PH and chemistry issues (go figure), so I gave in and paid them to replace the trim pieces, niche ring, gasket, retaining screw, etc. The cost was minimal if you consider the cost of the parts.

Yesterday, I tested PH at around 7.5 on the Taylor K-1000 Test Kit. Each morning, I repeat this process and I believe that the colors are pretty easy to spot at this point. Even if the PH was at 7.6, that still would be fine. They were testing 7.8 and I explained to him that I use the Taylor Kit. He said the computerized testing is more accurate. (Let's not get into this conversation), and I am within the 7.2 to 7.8 range. Although, I am afraid if I test 7.8, they will test a lot higher.

Here is my real question:

If I hold it up in the air, I see a reading of 7.5. If I have it against a white aluminum, the reading is more like 7.8. In the TFP Community, how do we interpret "arms length"? Arms length from my eyes, or the vile has to be arms length from the white surface as this makes a difference. I always do this outside as the lighting is better, back away from the sun.

If my PH matches the PB, it makes my life easier for Warranty purposes. They did not even try to sell me chemicals as they understand.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor K-100 PH Indicator (How to read)

Holding up to the sky (not toward sun) is the way I have always tested.
    The siding is reflected light (it's also been through the liquid twice) and this will not read correctly.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ozdiver View Post
    Holding up to the sky (not toward sun) is the way I have always tested.
    The siding is reflected light (it's also been through the liquid twice) and this will not read correctly.
    Agreed. The design of the cell and test is for bright, indirect, ambient light to come through the back of the cell to your eyes.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Ambient, white light is the best. Sky background on a sunny day. I have lots of issues discerning colors if I do it indoors with incandescent lighting, wall colors, etc. If you have trouble, sometimes I find it helpful to cover every reference color but one and see if the sample matches. Then do the same with other reference rectangles.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....

yellow 6.8 and lower
    yellow orange 7.0
    orange 7.2
    orange red 7.4-7.5
    red 7.6-7.8
    red violet 8.0
    violet 8.2 and higher
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

That is what I thought. Thanks for your help.

Ironically, no "phosphates" and we all know that this means nothing. Next week, my phosphates will be 1,000 and then 200. This all depends on how much they like to go "swimming" LOL. It is too bad that I have to make visits weekly just so my warranty is there for the next few years. No big deal. Maybe I can convince the workers to join TFP
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013