Trying to build aerator for pool but my jets don't allow a pipe thread?

vt_tj

Aug 25, 2015
Salt Lake City
I need to get an aerator built into my in ground pool. I was already to get this project down last weekend. Stuck my hand down in pool to feel the jet had a thread inside it. I had assumed 1,5 inches. Went to Home Depot and bought all the pvc I need to make one of these elbow jets you can buy from amazon.com. Turns out the 1,5 pipe did not fit so I went back and grabbed a 1.25 and 1 inch to down size it to no luck. Turns out the thread actual is further into the jet and there is a smooth ID surface to the outside (towards pool) that is seems to be same ID as min thread ID. Thus I can't screw anything into my jet. I have attached a picture and let me know if this looks odd or familiar.

Maybe I am going about this all wrong.

thanks

Attachments

• pool return jet.jpg
    pool return jet.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 55
I ran into a similar problem when I wanted to reduce TA. I bought a fountain, but it didn't fit the Pentair returns.

I tried both Lowe's and Ace Hardware for parts to make an adapter, to no avail. The Pentair threads seem to be between two standard dimensions.

In the end I hooked the fountain up to our Polaris return.

Maybe someone sells a Pentair to standard adapter that you can use.

I believe you will find two sets of threads in that return. The inner one (that doesn't fit) can be removed with a small "key" that engages two slots 180 degrees from one another. Once removed, you now have 1.5 inch female threads to engage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.