New Salt Water Pump - Algae Trouble

Apr 17, 2012
Above ground pool 22X52. We bought a new salt water pump (previous finally died) and it kept the water blue all summer with zero maintenance. It rained for the first time in East Texas this summer yesterday and now my pool is a green algae monster.
My question is and forgive my ignorance but doesn't a salt water pump keep the algae out?

Newbie - don't kill me.

Bottom line, no. All it does is add some chlorine. Whether or not that is enough to prevent algae depends on other levels.

Sounds like you got EXTREMELY lucky last year and now it has caught up to you. Time to do some learning ;)

the first thing you need to do is order one of the Recommended Test Kits because everything we teach is based on accurate test results.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these to keep you busy while waiting for the test kit:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

no scolding around here :) the rain probably just lowered your FC enough to allow an algae bloom to grow...

zero maintenance is the problem, untill you know your pool and what it needs, you need to test every day. You really need to get a recommended test kit. I really love the TF100 :)

once you have a test kit post up some numbers and we will get you some help.

What exactly is a salt water pump? The pump does nothing but move water from one place (the pool) to another (back to the pool) through the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.