New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
So a few of you may have seen a sketch and PB comparison but I am not getting down the final list and design after choosing our PB.

The pool builder that i am using is allowing me to choose my equipment and I can design whatever I want without affecting price as long as it is under 400sq ft.

We are planning to sign paperwork in the next couple of weeks and will start the build in Jan. He is expecting it to take 5-6 weeks, so we should be ready.

Any thoughts, advice, etc on anything.

Pool
  • Size: 29'x14' - GrecoRoman
  • Depth: 3.5' x 5' x 4'
  • Sunshelf with 2 bubblers & umbrella sleeve
  • Pebblesheen finish
  • Single LED light facing away from house
  • Stepped back wall with 2 sheer waterfalls
  • Tile accents on steps, sunshelf, swim out
  • Travertine Coping & Deck
  • 5 Returns
  • 2" piping
  • 2 Main drains
  • Dedicated Vacuum line

Equipment
  • IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
  • EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell
  • Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 ft2
  • Jandy Valves
  • Jandy Diverter Valve for Solar
  • Jandy Valve Actuator for Solar
  • Helicol Solar panels

Other
  • Screen Enclosure
  • Replace sod
  • Move AC units

COUNTRY CLASSIC SELECT TUMBLED TRAVERTINE PAVER

Pebblesheen

Last edited:
Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

Nice pool.

Is your only heating option solar? Do you have gas?

Even though your pool is ~ 12,000 gallons, the price difference between and IC40 and an IC60 is not all that much when you consider the total price of the build. My pool is 16,000 gallons and I am definitely going to replace my IC40 with an IC60 when the time comes. The benefit to a larger cell is you can run it at a lower percentage and get more chlorine generation which translates into a longer cell life. There's not much downside to a larger cell. You also might consider an acid injection system like a IntelliPH as those are nice to have for automating pH control.

As for plumbing, I think most here would say -

1. Put the returns on a full loop of pipe, not a single run with a dead end.
2. Make sure your MD's and skimmer are on separate pipe runs to the equipment pad with independent shut off valves
3. Make sure any check valves installed at the pump/filter are Jandy check valves not the basic sealed type that you find in hardware stores. The Jandy's have a clear plastic face on them that is removable so you can rebuild the guts of the valve if there's a mechanical failure.

- - - Updated - - -

And I would add that you request the pump be installed with union fittings that allow for quick release in case you need to change out a pump. Often the install is done with all glued PVC pipe running straight into the pump. Then, if/when there's a failure, you have to chop up your PVC to put a new pump in. Just a "nice-to-have" option.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if the Clean N Clear has the option, I would go for the more expensive multi-port valve that allows for vacuum-to-waste. Not sure if the clean n clear has that option. My Pentair QuadDE comes with the standard plunger-type backwash valve. If you want a multi-port, it's an upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Geez....I'm terrible....hardly even know you and I'm spending your money like crazy ;)

Great looking pool though, can't wait to see your build thread!!

Kind of a personal question...
:razz:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

It won't heat the pool but it will definitely lead to excess aeration :mrgreen:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pool.

Is your only heating option solar? Do you have gas?

Even though your pool is ~ 12,000 gallons, the price difference between and IC40 and an IC60 is not all that much when you consider the total price of the build. My pool is 16,000 gallons and I am definitely going to replace my IC40 with an IC60 when the time comes. The benefit to a larger cell is you can run it at a lower percentage and get more chlorine generation which translates into a longer cell life. There's not much downside to a larger cell. You also might consider an acid injection system like a IntelliPH as those are nice to have for automating pH control.

As for plumbing, I think most here would say -

1. Put the returns on a full loop of pipe, not a single run with a dead end.
2. Make sure your MD's and skimmer are on separate pipe runs to the equipment pad with independent shut off valves
3. Make sure any check valves installed at the pump/filter are Jandy check valves not the basic sealed type that you find in hardware stores. The Jandy's have a clear plastic face on them that is removable so you can rebuild the guts of the valve if there's a mechanical failure.

- - - Updated - - -

And I would add that you request the pump be installed with union fittings that allow for quick release in case you need to change out a pump. Often the install is done with all glued PVC pipe running straight into the pump. Then, if/when there's a failure, you have to chop up your PVC to put a new pump in. Just a "nice-to-have" option.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if the Clean N Clear has the option, I would go for the more expensive multi-port valve that allows for vacuum-to-waste. Not sure if the clean n clear has that option. My Pentair QuadDE comes with the standard plunger-type backwash valve. If you want a multi-port, it's an upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Geez....I'm terrible....hardly even know you and I'm spending your money like crazy ;)

Great looking pool though, can't wait to see your build thread!!
Don't have gas. In this area we will probably be able to swin 9 to 10 months with solar.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only one color included in the price? That seems odd. I know they don't give many but we had 6 of the light colors in the Diamond bright. But we upgrade to quartzscapes. It was the only one we both liked.
Sorry, didn't say that correct. . The other colors we would be interested in are level 2 or 3 and those cost more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is a great color with water in it. Very rich looking water.

I would see about adding lights to your bubblers. Just fun and neat to have.

You need unions to your filter also. Otherwise you will not be able to do a deep clean or repair with out cutting your pipe.

I agree to make sure you can vacuum to waste. That is the number one feature that most cart. filter owners wish they have if they do not.

OH and Joyfulnoise------I think you forgot that it is MY job to spend their money! LOL

Kim

That was a LOT of permitting! OUCH! Good start! I love the supervisor! Has he been able to "help" at all?

Kim

Yeah,he sure wants to. Not a very safe environment for a 5 year old. I have 7 kids and they are ecstatic. They have had to learn a lot of patience with this project. They just could not understand why if someone said they were going to start on 1/4, why it took 8 weeks longer..... :)

At this point, though, everything is moving along and I am managing the rest of the contractors.
Week of
3/07 - Dig and steel (Complete)
3/14 - Concrete shell (Complete)
3/21 - Tile, plumbing, electric, equipment (In Progress)
3/28 - Coping & Deck (Scheduled)
4/04 - Screen Enclosure, Baby Fence, Pebble Pros to check pool (Scheduled)
4/11 - Pebble Pros (Scheduled)

Here are some pictures after the shotcrete. Guys came out today to do plumbing but after a few hours got rained out.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the tile we are going to use.
The 1st one is the main tile. The 2nd is for the back wall and the 3rd is a accent tile that will be used sporadically.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.