Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    So a few of you may have seen a sketch and PB comparison but I am not getting down the final list and design after choosing our PB.

    The pool builder that i am using is allowing me to choose my equipment and I can design whatever I want without affecting price as long as it is under 400sq ft.

    We are planning to sign paperwork in the next couple of weeks and will start the build in Jan. He is expecting it to take 5-6 weeks, so we should be ready.

    Any thoughts, advice, etc on anything.

    Pool
    • Size: 29'x14' - GrecoRoman
    • Depth: 3.5' x 5' x 4'
    • Sunshelf with 2 bubblers & umbrella sleeve
    • Pebblesheen finish
    • Single LED light facing away from house
    • Stepped back wall with 2 sheer waterfalls
    • Tile accents on steps, sunshelf, swim out
    • Travertine Coping & Deck
    • 5 Returns
    • 2" piping
    • 2 Main drains
    • Dedicated Vacuum line


    Equipment
    • IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    • EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC40 cell
    • Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 ft2
    • Jandy Valves
    • Jandy Diverter Valve for Solar
    • Jandy Valve Actuator for Solar
    • Helicol Solar panels


    Other
    • Screen Enclosure
    • Replace sod
    • Move AC units










    COUNTRY CLASSIC SELECT TUMBLED TRAVERTINE PAVER


    Pebblesheen
    Last edited by mgmoore7; 09-03-2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added pics
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Dreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl
    Posts
    190

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Nice design! What color finish are you going with? I'm having ivory travertine installed for my deck. Quartzscapes Barbados blue finish.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreynolds View Post
    Nice design! What color finish are you going with? I'm having ivory travertine installed for my deck. Quartzscapes Barbados blue finish.

    COUNTRY CLASSIC SELECT TUMBLED TRAVERTINE PAVER in the French Pattern
    &
    Pebblesheen Blue Granite
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  4. Back To Top    #4
    JoyfulNoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    11,580

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Nice pool.

    Is your only heating option solar? Do you have gas?

    Even though your pool is ~ 12,000 gallons, the price difference between and IC40 and an IC60 is not all that much when you consider the total price of the build. My pool is 16,000 gallons and I am definitely going to replace my IC40 with an IC60 when the time comes. The benefit to a larger cell is you can run it at a lower percentage and get more chlorine generation which translates into a longer cell life. There's not much downside to a larger cell. You also might consider an acid injection system like a IntelliPH as those are nice to have for automating pH control.

    As for plumbing, I think most here would say -

    1. Put the returns on a full loop of pipe, not a single run with a dead end.
    2. Make sure your MD's and skimmer are on separate pipe runs to the equipment pad with independent shut off valves
    3. Make sure any check valves installed at the pump/filter are Jandy check valves not the basic sealed type that you find in hardware stores. The Jandy's have a clear plastic face on them that is removable so you can rebuild the guts of the valve if there's a mechanical failure.

    - - - Updated - - -

    And I would add that you request the pump be installed with union fittings that allow for quick release in case you need to change out a pump. Often the install is done with all glued PVC pipe running straight into the pump. Then, if/when there's a failure, you have to chop up your PVC to put a new pump in. Just a "nice-to-have" option.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh, and if the Clean N Clear has the option, I would go for the more expensive multi-port valve that allows for vacuum-to-waste. Not sure if the clean n clear has that option. My Pentair QuadDE comes with the standard plunger-type backwash valve. If you want a multi-port, it's an upgrade.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Geez....I'm terrible....hardly even know you and I'm spending your money like crazy

    Great looking pool though, can't wait to see your build thread!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    447

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    I need to see a bigger piece of pebble - looks very gray to me
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Houston tx
    Posts
    2,492

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Do you have gas?
    Kind of a personal question...
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

  7. Back To Top    #7
    JoyfulNoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    11,580

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Kind of a personal question...
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

    It won't heat the pool but it will definitely lead to excess aeration


    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Nice pool.

    Is your only heating option solar? Do you have gas?

    Even though your pool is ~ 12,000 gallons, the price difference between and IC40 and an IC60 is not all that much when you consider the total price of the build. My pool is 16,000 gallons and I am definitely going to replace my IC40 with an IC60 when the time comes. The benefit to a larger cell is you can run it at a lower percentage and get more chlorine generation which translates into a longer cell life. There's not much downside to a larger cell. You also might consider an acid injection system like a IntelliPH as those are nice to have for automating pH control.

    As for plumbing, I think most here would say -

    1. Put the returns on a full loop of pipe, not a single run with a dead end.
    2. Make sure your MD's and skimmer are on separate pipe runs to the equipment pad with independent shut off valves
    3. Make sure any check valves installed at the pump/filter are Jandy check valves not the basic sealed type that you find in hardware stores. The Jandy's have a clear plastic face on them that is removable so you can rebuild the guts of the valve if there's a mechanical failure.

    - - - Updated - - -

    And I would add that you request the pump be installed with union fittings that allow for quick release in case you need to change out a pump. Often the install is done with all glued PVC pipe running straight into the pump. Then, if/when there's a failure, you have to chop up your PVC to put a new pump in. Just a "nice-to-have" option.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh, and if the Clean N Clear has the option, I would go for the more expensive multi-port valve that allows for vacuum-to-waste. Not sure if the clean n clear has that option. My Pentair QuadDE comes with the standard plunger-type backwash valve. If you want a multi-port, it's an upgrade.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Geez....I'm terrible....hardly even know you and I'm spending your money like crazy

    Great looking pool though, can't wait to see your build thread!!
    Don't have gas. In this area we will probably be able to swin 9 to 10 months with solar.

    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by DMS2014 View Post
    I need to see a bigger piece of pebble - looks very gray to me
    That pic is from their website. . I think it is one of the most popular colors. All the other colors would be more money.

    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Dreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl
    Posts
    190

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Only one color included in the price? That seems odd. I know they don't give many but we had 6 of the light colors in the Diamond bright. But we upgrade to quartzscapes. It was the only one we both liked.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreynolds View Post
    Only one color included in the price? That seems odd. I know they don't give many but we had 6 of the light colors in the Diamond bright. But we upgrade to quartzscapes. It was the only one we both liked.
    Sorry, didn't say that correct. . The other colors we would be interested in are level 2 or 3 and those cost more.

    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,654

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    That is a great color with water in it. Very rich looking water.

    I would see about adding lights to your bubblers. Just fun and neat to have.

    You need unions to your filter also. Otherwise you will not be able to do a deep clean or repair with out cutting your pipe.

    I agree to make sure you can vacuum to waste. That is the number one feature that most cart. filter owners wish they have if they do not.

    OH and Joyfulnoise------I think you forgot that it is MY job to spend their money! LOL

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by DMS2014 View Post
    I need to see a bigger piece of pebble - looks very gray to me
    Here is a pic from their website. I have seen this in person too and it looks really nice.

    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  14. Back To Top    #14
    JoyfulNoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    11,580

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post

    OH and Joyfulnoise------I think you forgot that it is MY job to spend their money! LOL

    Kim
    Whoops, my bad!

    Just couldn't help myself...it's so much more fun spending other people's money


    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,654

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    So true Matt, so true! I will share the fun with you!

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    New IG Pool in Tampa, FL - Finally Under Construction

    Thanks to all of those that helped with my many questions.

    Design Thread
    New Build Design, Equipment Plan Advice - Florida

    Pool is 29'x13.5' sports pool.
    Travertine coping and deck
    Bird Cage
    Pentair Equipment

    We were supposed to start on 1/4 but permitting issues delayed until 3/11.





    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,654

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    That was a LOT of permitting! OUCH! Good start! I love the supervisor! Has he been able to "help" at all?

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    That was a LOT of permitting! OUCH! Good start! I love the supervisor! Has he been able to "help" at all?

    Kim
    Yeah,he sure wants to. Not a very safe environment for a 5 year old. I have 7 kids and they are ecstatic. They have had to learn a lot of patience with this project. They just could not understand why if someone said they were going to start on 1/4, why it took 8 weeks longer.....

    At this point, though, everything is moving along and I am managing the rest of the contractors.
    Week of
    3/07 - Dig and steel (Complete)
    3/14 - Concrete shell (Complete)
    3/21 - Tile, plumbing, electric, equipment (In Progress)
    3/28 - Coping & Deck (Scheduled)
    4/04 - Screen Enclosure, Baby Fence, Pebble Pros to check pool (Scheduled)
    4/11 - Pebble Pros (Scheduled)
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Nectarologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    359

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Looking great! Before you know it the dirt will be gone and you'll be swimming.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    526

    Re: New Build Design, Equipment & Plan Advice - Florida

    Here are some pictures after the shotcrete. Guys came out today to do plumbing but after a few hours got rained out.









    - - - Updated - - -

    Here is the tile we are going to use.
    The 1st one is the main tile. The 2nd is for the back wall and the 3rd is a accent tile that will be used sporadically.

    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •