Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Turned Green even with Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Turned Green even with Chlorine?

Is it possible for your pool to turn green even when maintaining the appropriate FC to CYA?

Prior to Shocking

FC 7
    CC < .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 200
    CYA: 40
    TEMP 90 F

After Shocking FC is about 23.
    Intex 9 x 15 x 52" 5000 gal, vinyl, Sand filter pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Turned Green even with Chlorine?

If the green is from metals, sure.

It's even possible to grow some algae on the walls despite proper FC/CYA if there's poor circulation and insufficient brushing to overcome the poor circulation.

The whole pool turn green with algae despite adequate FC/CYA? No.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Shocking is not a one time dose of medicine (contrary to what the pool store will say!) and it takes repeated doses, days, perhaps week(s) to kill off *all* the algae and prevent it reproducing like bunnies which it is wont to do. The procedure is now called a SLAM (Shock Level and Maintain) with the maintain portion being muy important.

How long did you keep the pool FC elevated? Were you brushing daily? What did you use for the chlorine and was it fresh and strong?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

The algae starts near the bottom corners. I was lax on brushing this week.

5. Back To Top    #5

The water looks really good now.

On my third day of slamming. I am using Liquid Chlorine 10%. The gallon jugs I buy from Home Depot.

The CL was bought less than 3 weeks ago. I store it in my laundry room.

Brushing every day now before maybe two or three times a week.

However I was maintaining the FC levels to about 6 or 7.

That's why I was surprised when I took the cover off that there was algae present on the sides of the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Interesting.

How often do you test FC and add chlorine? Daily? Twice per week? Perhaps the FC is getting low enough between doses for algae to start to grow, and then your doses up to FC=6 just wasn't enough to beat it back into submission. And every time that happened, the algae gained ground.

How many hours a day does your pump run? If it is a two-speed pump, is it running at high speed at any time other than vacuuming?

What is the current pressure in your sand filter, and when did you backwash last? Perhaps the filter is simply clogged, dramatically reducing the amount of circulation?

Do your return jet have an eyeball that you can aim? If so, aiming it to one side can create a gentle circular motion to the water, ensuring even chlorination throughout the pool.

Here's a random one: When you test FC, are you perchance using a 25ml sample, but using the 0.5 multiplier from the 10ml sample size? If this were the case, your true FC would be less than half of your measured FC.

Yeah, too many questions. Just trying to cover all the obvious bases.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex