Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice for Fixing Leak at PVC Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice for Fixing Leak at PVC Valve

After noticing our pool level dropped a few inches overnight, I discovered a pretty significant leak at the base of the valve at the water return pipe. There's enough "meat" left above the concrete pad to put a new valve or coupling on to the 2" pipe, but I'm wondering what the best way is to approach this. Do I even need a valve there? And how do I repair this without cutting everything apart? I'm attaching a photo which shows where this leak is as well as the general layout of the plumbing.Leak.JPGLeak2.JPG Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Seattle Area
    18x36 Kidney Inground Vinyl
    Pentair VS 3050
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Easy Touch

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice for Fixing Leak at PVC Valve

You could try silicone or a pipe wrap, but that would only be temporary. The best way would be to cut the pipe and put in new couplings. We had a suction side leak that we tried a temporary patch on, but it didn't stop air getting into the pump...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Advice for Fixing Leak at PVC Valve

just put a new valve in. I would put the new one in higher. A coupling glued properly usually will not fail. This will give you room to fix the valve if it fails again.
    13500 gal AG pool, 2 HP - 2 speed pump with sand filter.