Can you still swim when fc is high?

Sorry if this has been asked before! I am new and don't know my way around yet.

I have a new (small) pool for my kiddos. I set it up last week, ordered the taylor2006 (it's not here yet, but using another brand until around Monday), filled it up and added beach and muriatic acid according to "Pool Math" to get the levels as close to correct as I can using my "bad" testing strips. (I didn't find this site until AFTER I set up the pool). I accidentally added too much bleach today (pool math said 24 oz and I added 36 oz) and the fc is now 10 (but could possibly be more since I am using strips right now). Is it safe to swim in? Oh,the ph is 7.8 and the CYA is 30. I should also mention that we mainly go nightswimming and I also keep the pool covered when not in use (as per city drought laws).

Thanks in advance :D

Now is a great time to look at Pool Math and input your pool specifics (# gallons at the top, current chem levels down the left side column, desired levels in the right side column, bottom of column tell program you want to follow TFP recommendations and how you get your chlorine) THEN see below that- there is a spot to ask the program "what happens if I put in 36 ounces of 8.25% bleach...?" and it will spit out the answer such as "36 ounces of 8.25% will raise your FC by x amount..."

Give that a try, leave the cover off the pool to let the sun burn a bit off and go SWIMMING! (keep testing with your new kit when it arrives)

I did the pool math and accidentally added too much bleach. I don't want to start adding things if they aren't necessary. I have read that chlorine goes down quickly over time, but I can't have the pool uncovered unless it is being used because of city drought laws. I guess I could take the chance and uncover, but there are monetary penalties if someone sees it uncovered without people in it. I just took another reading and the fc is STILL high. I am willing to wait until it goes down, but my kiddos aren't as patient, lol. I am just wondering if the fc will harm them?

What is your FC now? Have you done a recent CYA test and what is the level?

Have you bothered to delve into Pool School to learn how and why of Pool Care?

Did you leave the cover open (maybe while relaxing outside in your bathing suit so you look to be using the pool) to help burn off some as previously suggested?

Have you considered just draining some water out and replacing it with fresh?? Your pool is pretty small and you could use the water on the lawn and gardens...

Thanks Mike1162. That is the exact information I was looking for. My cya level is currently 30.

Yippeeskippy- Yes, I read pool school and I also did the pool math before I even asked this question. After I set up the pool I decided to NOT do what all my friends and neighbors did and came across this site that seemed to be better than pouring tons of expensive stuff into the pool. I am a SAHM that is often alone for 18+ hours a day with my kids so my brain sometimes turns into mush (hence why I added too much bleach in the first place). My husband just wanted me to go get the stuff at a pool store but I thought this looked like a friendly, knowledgeable community that wouldn't make me feel stupid for not knowing things.

We aren't even allowed to water the lawn except on certain days. Not only do I not want to get fined (for the pool being uncovered) but I actually believe in water conservation and actually feel guilty for having a pool, haha. Now that I know it's safe to swim in, we can go outside and I can leave it uncovered the whole time.

What some Cali. folks have done is water the lawn and plants from the pool and then used the same amount of clean water into their pool. That way you are doing your conservation and getting the needed water for the pool.

If you're ever concerned about the FC level and not sure, the rule is that its safe to swim with FC up to 40% of your CYA level.
easy rule to remember.

enjoy,
Sorry if this has been asked before! I am new and don't know my way around yet.

I have a new (small) pool for my kiddos. I set it up last week, ordered the taylor2006 (it's not here yet, but using another brand until around Monday), filled it up and added beach and muriatic acid according to "Pool Math" to get the levels as close to correct as I can using my "bad" testing strips. (I didn't find this site until AFTER I set up the pool). I accidentally added too much bleach today (pool math said 24 oz and I added 36 oz) and the fc is now 10 (but could possibly be more since I am using strips right now). Is it safe to swim in? Oh,the ph is 7.8 and the CYA is 30. I should also mention that we mainly go nightswimming and I also keep the pool covered when not in use (as per city drought laws).

Thanks in advance :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.