Filling your pool--set an alarm?

Jul 4, 2015
Bridge City, TX
We started filling our pool today! Yippee!! It is approximately 24,000 gallons. When you were filling your pool did you set an alarm to get up and check it during the night? I really don't think it will fill up until mid day tomorrow but I feel like I should be checking it! Who am I kidding, maybe I just want to look at it some more! Lol. Someone should have told me watching a pool fill is like watching paint dry!!

LOL too funny. I'm so glad you are filling it up. You can set an alarm to ensure you don't overfill if you want but you can probably get a pretty good idea of how fast it's filling before going to sleep that can answer the question for you. LOL, however, I suspect you're going to be too excited to sleep much tonight knowing your beautiful new pool is filling with water. Congrats it won't be long you'll be in there splashing around. Be sure and post pictures please so we can all enjoy your new pool too. Have a wonderful night. :)

EDIT: LOL I think me and Texas are on the same page. LOL

Hmmmm....I don't remember whether or not we let the hose run overnight when filling our pool (installed in March 2004). I do remember it took a couple days.

And yes, we stared at it all the time! :D

Let it run, sleep well, unless you have a fire hose in it and I bet you will be safe until late tomorrow. Think of it this way..... Our pool guy was doing weekly clean etc and turned fill line on to top it off and he left, forgetting to shut it off. Well, 8 hours later we get home and just like a good rain it will overflow or through the overflow pipe into the yard. I'm sure it won't be the last time as I have done it myself and I bet majority of pool owners have done it more than once.
But then again you probably should check it every hour just to make sure it's still there. [emoji12]
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, a very exciting time! I calculated when ours would be full and set an alarm for 4AM. Didn't need it cuz' I was up at three and sitting pool side drinking coffee watching the tide roll in. Yeah' exciting time. Congratulations!!!!

EDIT----to what DD sez' in the next post:

I always set an alarm; tablet, phone or micro wave when I do a top off. Coincidently, one is happening now. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I placed a few travertine tiles on the topmost step, so that it just is below the desired water line.. Then placed this sensor on top of it..
Basement Watchdog Battery-Operated Water Alarm-BWD-HWA - The Home Depot

6SFFFaE.jpg

We had to fill the new pool twice in 4 days, since the PB's tech screwed up CYA. But both the times, I was by the pool side just before it reached the sensor :)

Not exactly the same but similar and a funny story. At my parent's house growing up, we didn't have an autofill on our pool. We had a PVC fill line built in but it was manual operation. Every time my dad would turn on the fill, he would take one shoe off and leave it out by the pool. That way, he would remember that if he had one shoe on, he needed to remember to check the pool and turn off the water when it got full. He passed in 2012 and every time I look out at my pool, it reminds me of him. He had a lot of neat things like that about him. Great guy.

Reactions: Slaru
Slappie, What a cute story with so many special memories. I'm sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like he was a funny guy. LOL I can picture him running around all over the place with only one shoe on, I bet that was hilarious.

I use my egg timer for water top offs because if I don't I will without a doubt forget the water is on, and over fill it. LOL I'll be in here on the computer, or something, and forget the timer is set. When it goes off I always about jump out of my seat, but lol it works, and at least I'm most of the way up to go check the water level.

Not exactly the same but similar and a funny story. At my parent's house growing up, we didn't have an autofill on our pool. We had a PVC fill line built in but it was manual operation. Every time my dad would turn on the fill, he would take one shoe off and leave it out by the pool. That way, he would remember that if he had one shoe on, he needed to remember to check the pool and turn off the water when it got full. He passed in 2012 and every time I look out at my pool, it reminds me of him. He had a lot of neat things like that about him. Great guy.

great story

i woke up in the middle of the night every time I fill my pool because..it's exciting. You can make a note of where the water line is and after an hour see how high it rose. Then calculate how many more inches per hour you have to go

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.