Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling your pool--set an alarm?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling your pool--set an alarm?

We started filling our pool today! Yippee!! It is approximately 24,000 gallons. When you were filling your pool did you set an alarm to get up and check it during the night? I really don't think it will fill up until mid day tomorrow but I feel like I should be checking it! Who am I kidding, maybe I just want to look at it some more! Lol. Someone should have told me watching a pool fill is like watching paint dry!!
    24,000 gallon free form IG gunite pool w/8' round raised spa. 700 sq ft pea gravel decking. Tahoe blue pebble tech. Pentair 2HP Sulerflo pump. CCP 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 280. 320 inline chlorinator. Mastertemp 400,000 btu heater. Pentair LED light in pool and spa. Easy Touch automated system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling your pool--set an alarm?

That is an exciting time. I think when we filled ours up, we were too excited to sleep anyways.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

LOL too funny. I'm so glad you are filling it up. You can set an alarm to ensure you don't overfill if you want but you can probably get a pretty good idea of how fast it's filling before going to sleep that can answer the question for you. LOL, however, I suspect you're going to be too excited to sleep much tonight knowing your beautiful new pool is filling with water. Congrats it won't be long you'll be in there splashing around. Be sure and post pictures please so we can all enjoy your new pool too. Have a wonderful night.

EDIT: LOL I think me and Texas are on the same page. LOL
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmmm....I don't remember whether or not we let the hose run overnight when filling our pool (installed in March 2004). I do remember it took a couple days.

And yes, we stared at it all the time!
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

5. Back To Top    #5

Let it run, sleep well, unless you have a fire hose in it and I bet you will be safe until late tomorrow. Think of it this way..... Our pool guy was doing weekly clean etc and turned fill line on to top it off and he left, forgetting to shut it off. Well, 8 hours later we get home and just like a good rain it will overflow or through the overflow pipe into the yard. I'm sure it won't be the last time as I have done it myself and I bet majority of pool owners have done it more than once.
    But then again you probably should check it every hour just to make sure it's still there.
    Enjoy!

Free form | 14k gal | 81 pf | 3.5' - 5' - 4' | Dolphin M500 | intelli FLO VS 3 hp | heat pump ultra temp hp 90 | quad 60 DE | ic40 swcg | Aqua blue mini pebble | 5g LED

6. Back To Top    #6

I am horrible able forgetting to turn the water off. Makes me want to nap.
    13500 gal AG pool, 2 HP - 2 speed pump with sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, a very exciting time! I calculated when ours would be full and set an alarm for 4AM. Didn't need it cuz' I was up at three and sitting pool side drinking coffee watching the tide roll in. Yeah' exciting time. Congratulations!!!!

EDIT----to what DD sez' in the next post:

I always set an alarm; tablet, phone or micro wave when I do a top off. Coincidently, one is happening now.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

8. Back To Top    #8

I didnt use an alarm when I filled my pool. But sure do when I need to tp it off!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol. My husband calculated and we estimate it will be full by 8am. But I am sure I might have to go look at it just a few times. Did I mention we are excited?
    24,000 gallon free form IG gunite pool w/8' round raised spa. 700 sq ft pea gravel decking. Tahoe blue pebble tech. Pentair 2HP Sulerflo pump. CCP 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 280. 320 inline chlorinator. Mastertemp 400,000 btu heater. Pentair LED light in pool and spa. Easy Touch automated system.

10. Back To Top    #10

Congrats! Oh happy days! We dig Monday. Our dig got back up thanks to Erika! I was so bummed. But I guess everything happens for a reason as we are adding sunshelf now.

11. Back To Top    #11

Dreynolds, watch out, those rain delays can be expensive! That is how I ended up adding the luminous glass beads to my pebble tec! Lol!

12. Back To Top    #12

I placed a few travertine tiles on the topmost step, so that it just is below the desired water line.. Then placed this sensor on top of it..
    Basement Watchdog Battery-Operated Water Alarm-BWD-HWA - The Home Depot

We had to fill the new pool twice in 4 days, since the PB's tech screwed up CYA. But both the times, I was by the pool side just before it reached the sensor
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Not exactly the same but similar and a funny story. At my parent's house growing up, we didn't have an autofill on our pool. We had a PVC fill line built in but it was manual operation. Every time my dad would turn on the fill, he would take one shoe off and leave it out by the pool. That way, he would remember that if he had one shoe on, he needed to remember to check the pool and turn off the water when it got full. He passed in 2012 and every time I look out at my pool, it reminds me of him. He had a lot of neat things like that about him. Great guy.
    40K Gallon gunite chlorine diving pool with spa, Blue Granite finish
    Jandy Watercolors LED lights (2 pool, 1 spa)
    Jandy equipment with RS8 controller
    Borates added in the form of Borax and Acid.
    Prosper Texas

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Slappie, What a cute story with so many special memories. I'm sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like he was a funny guy. LOL I can picture him running around all over the place with only one shoe on, I bet that was hilarious.

I use my egg timer for water top offs because if I don't I will without a doubt forget the water is on, and over fill it. LOL I'll be in here on the computer, or something, and forget the timer is set. When it goes off I always about jump out of my seat, but lol it works, and at least I'm most of the way up to go check the water level.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by slappie View Post
    Not exactly the same but similar and a funny story. At my parent's house growing up, we didn't have an autofill on our pool. We had a PVC fill line built in but it was manual operation. Every time my dad would turn on the fill, he would take one shoe off and leave it out by the pool. That way, he would remember that if he had one shoe on, he needed to remember to check the pool and turn off the water when it got full. He passed in 2012 and every time I look out at my pool, it reminds me of him. He had a lot of neat things like that about him. Great guy.
    great story
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

16. Back To Top    #16

So where are the pics? Shouldn't it have been filled by now??
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

They're probably already, even though the water is probably cold right now, so they are too busy to post pics. LOL So here we are patiently awaiting their return.

18. Back To Top    #18

i woke up in the middle of the night every time I fill my pool because..it's exciting. You can make a note of where the water line is and after an hour see how high it rose. Then calculate how many more inches per hour you have to go
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

19. Back To Top    #19

i topped mine off today. I just asked Siri to remind me in an hour to shut off the hose.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

20. Back To Top    #20

Slappie, that's a great story! Pics posted in my build thread!