Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Pump PSI running too high

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, tx

Hayward Pump PSI running too high

We have had a Hayward pump for about 2 1/2 years. The pressure runs between 14 - 16 psi sometimes up to 18. This year it has been a steady 18 and in the last few weeks creeps up to 20. We have backwashed repeatedly, used backwash cleaner. The water is crystal clear. We keep cleaning out the skimmers and backwashing. Today the pressure was at 20 PSI and I did not notice any debris in the skimmer or pump tub. I have not noticed any signs of leaks. Everything seems to be normal. This is an above ground, oval pool, 4ft. deep. Water level is good.
    Above ground oval

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Jose, CA

Re: Hayward Pump PSI running too high

Check your pressure gauge. Make sure there is no debris clogging it up.

And the pressure gauges we typically get with our filters border on the cheap side and they, too, fail over time. is a very nice gauge. I have one.
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Houston, Texas

What kind of filter? Sand or DE? If sand, how long has it been since the sand was replaced? Over time, on a microscopic level, the sand looses it grittiness from erosion and from "dirt" plugging up the tiny voids. Backwashing only removes the larger stuff. If its a DE filter, whens the last time the grids were taken out and cleaned/degreased?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Long Island, NY

Actually if it's a sand Filter it may just need to be deep cleaned as shown in this link- Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter.

BUT, I'll vote with Agent99 as it sounds like it could be a Gauge which costs very little and is quick/easy to replace.

I have the Glycerine filled Gauge TFKits sells and it's so much better the the standard small cheap ones
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Birmingham, AL

I had similar issues with my sand filter...not up to 20psi but it would run about 18psi. I would agree with Agent99 and start with a new gauge before anything else. I wouldn't waste money on a pool shop one...the no-name brand I bought there was the same price as the manufacturer brand online at Amazon. Read this excellent post about how to wrap the tape when you screw in the gauge if you don't know already. My contractor told me those gauges weren't worth much anyway and I've gotta replace mine every year. This year there was a dead spider at the bottom and it made it read artificially high until it decomposed I guess. haha Teflon Tape and You
    Installed 2010: 18X36X6ft 29000 gls, SWG, Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter. 2 skimmers/returns, Polaris cleaner aka Arthur, Heater