Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A way to check output of SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

A way to check output of SWG?

so I've had a problem with the chlorinator not producing enough chlorine pretty much since summer started. I cranked it up from 40% for 6 hours in the beginning of the summer to 80% for 12 hours and it still didn't keep up. called jandy and they said it should be doing fine in that its rated for up to 40,000 gallons and I only have 13k. I increased the flow from1900 - 2300 as a test to just see if it would help, and it didn't. it just feels like the cell is maxed out - I see bubbles so its doing something but it just won't get me what I need. lost some cya over the summer and am replacing it but not sure if that would be enough. I'm probably adding 50oz of 8.75% every day just to keep it at a safe level. any thoughts? probably having a tech come over since its all under warranty but I really just don't have time to set a date for that for a couple weeks.

fc 4
    cc 0
    ph 7.5
    cya 55 (would 70-80 really help stop burnoff THAT much???)
    ta 75
    ch 250

ran oclt a few weeks ago and it was 0 - so I'm guessing its the cell? its only 7 months old.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A way to check output of SWG?

How much salt is in your pool?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I really think that raising it to 80 CYA would help you immensely...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    How much salt is in your pool?
    the swg says its 3.6 or 3.7 and it seems to like it there. I was getting some 3.8 readings early in the summer and it warned me...didn't shut down, just warned me. I haven't checked it with a tester.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

5. Back To Top    #5

A couple of comments -

1. Yes, increasing from 55ppm CYA to at least 70ppm will help. In my own pool, when my CYA drops to 50ppm or lower, my SWG works much harder.

2. You can test the FC production by turning the cell on to 100% output, wait a few minutes and then take a water sample from in front of a return. You should see an increased FC level.

3. How did you pass OCLT? Did you elevate your chlorine level up to 10ppm prior to testing, shut off the SWG and run the pumps continuously? I know many on TFP just measure an overnight loss at target levels and call that an OCLT but there's been some discussion that it is not correct to do that. Nascent algae blooms (the ones you can't see) create enough of a chlorine demand that make it seem like the cell is the problem when it's not. You could try bringing your pool up to SLAM levels and then see what kind of of overnight loss you are getting. It happened to me once - clear pool, no CCs but a persistently high SWG output. I performed a SLAM and, lo and behold, I registered a significant overnight loss and my CCs spiked up. Held the SLAM for 3 days and after bringing it back down my SWG returned to normal output levels.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

First thing to do before having the tech come out is the OCLT as explained by Matt.

Do you ever have "No Flow" light up when on lower speeds? If the "No Flow" light does not come on then there is no need to speed up the pump.

Raise the CYA to 80 if you pass the OCLT.

Make sure the cell is clean of scale.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

i HAVE NOT passed on OCLT in that manner. I'll give that a shot - i was using target levels. cell looks great. never get "No Flow". i'll try to make that test happen this weekend and try to pump up the CYA to at least 70. thanks guys.