Who's building it and how much?

Please remember my words below. My first pool was the very basic hole in the ground, every pool I have seen on this site would have put it to shame. This was my 3rd go around on building a pool and I wanted an outdoor resort. We are going to retire here at some point and I wanted something that would last. That's why I am still a member, because I love watching all the builds and see peoples dreams come true.

"We are blessed in life and it's all paid for. I can tell you my first 2 pools were nowhere as costly or involved as this project. Whether your pool project is your first, last or something in between, the fun and fulfillment is the same for all of us".

Please remember my words below. My first pool was the very basic hole in the ground, every pool I have seen on this site would have put it to shame. This was my 3rd go around on building a pool and I wanted an outdoor resort. We are going to retire here at some point and I wanted something that would last. That's why I am still a member, because I love watching all the builds and see peoples dreams come true.

"We are blessed in life and it's all paid for. I can tell you my first 2 pools were nowhere as costly or involved as this project. Whether your pool project is your first, last or something in between, the fun and fulfillment is the same for all of us".

do not feel ashamed to have spent what you did on your pool...congrats and I think you could have gone bigger :)

Great idea for a thread. I'm in southern Rockland County NY. My pool was 37k (pool only). Places I could have saved a bit of money but got (part of the 37k cost) with prices I paid in paren: heater ($2,500), led lights ($900), roman end bench ($2,500), steel stairs so liner could cover them ($800), higher shallow end - 6 inches higher than standard ($1,000 I think). Having the bench at the deep end is the best thing I did. We use the deep end all the time. Without it we'd be blocking the stairs. Plus we can keep an eye on the entire pool while we sit and relax.Plus: electrical for pool and additional outlet required by code $3,300, gas for heater and line for grill $1,300. Techo bloc coping was $4,800. IMG_2711.jpg

Last edited:

My first pool was an above ground and we had so much fun with it I said if I do it again we're getting an in ground. We bought a house considerably under our budget so we could put a pool in. The best part is we have just as much fun in the in groud as we did in the above ground. Especially the kids! They don't care if it's heated or not, abover or in groud, cloudy or crystal clear. As a friend of mine says about his house (and accompanying pool)…"it may not be the size of a real castle, but it's my castle!" Thanks for sharing.

Great idea for a thread. I'm in southern Rockland County NY. My pool was 37k (pool only). Places I could have saved a bit of money but got (part of the 37k cost) with prices I paid in paren: heater ($2,500), led lights ($900), roman end bench ($2,500), steel stairs so liner could cover them ($800), higher shallow end - 6 inches higher than standard ($1,000 I think). Having the bench at the deep end is the best thing I did. We use the deep end all the time. Without it we'd be blocking the stairs. Plus we can keep an eye on the entire pool while we sit and relax.Plus: electrical for pool and additional outlet required by code $3,300, gas for heater and line for grill $1,300. Techo bloc coping was $4,800. View attachment 42616

beautiful pool...love the shape

I've sent several local people my O/B costs through PM or email so they can see what local market was charging. Equipment and size listed below; including landscaping (22 tons of rock, irrigation 14 trees), 2,200 sq ft of spray decking, pole, brush, side vac etc. my build came to - $41,213.97 (yes, I tracked my costs down to the penny, anal that way).

MoonQueens1_zpsj0a5j1du.jpg

I've sent several local people my O/B costs through PM or email so they can see what local market was charging. Equipment and size listed below; including landscaping, 2,200 sq ft of spray decking, pole, brush, side vac etc. my build came to - $41,213.97 (yes, I tracked my costs down to the penny, anal that way).

MoonQueens1_zpsj0a5j1du.jpg

best deal so far it seems like

who was the builder?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Martinkennedy: That is the best $400 pool I've ever seen! Well bought!

Just kidding, on a serious note though it may have cost $400k+ but it LITERALY does look like a million dollars! So beautifully designed, great materials/colors and execution is off the charts.

Back on topic, I do think this thread is very helpfull. Even if you don't have all the facts/details you can at least paint a general picture if a pool project price is in the right ballpark. That's very helpfull for people going through this the first time.

This thread is very helpful - even knowing that the variables can be quite so much - it puts things in great perspective as far as costs go.

Martin: 400K pool - wow. Time to rent the house and move the bed outdoors and spend all your time there in that oasis.

QingGuy : How does the whole O/B thing work? Did you have prior experience doing this before?

Thanks

Phil

QingGuy : How does the whole O/B thing work? Did you have prior experience doing this before?
Zero experience not even in an industry close to construction. I basically served as the GC and worked directly with the subs, designer, engineer, excavator, plumber, steel, electric, shotcrete, tile, decking and plaster. Subs are same subs that work for the major pool companies in my area; often times they'd be coming to my job from a PB job or to a PB job from my job. Did my own start-up too. Had its hic-ups as I've documented here but overall we're very pleased with the results. Got more pool for our money, upgraded equipment over what pool companies were quoting us AND had total control of our project and were able to make decisions/last minute changes on the fly without having to run them through the PB. Also didn't get nickled and dimed on things like in deck/pool umbrella sleeves. I paid $10 ea. for the sleeves and the subs just put them in. We did 14 (I think) of these, who knows what a PB would have charged us for those.

It's not for everyone, worked for us though.

Your location makes a big difference. An average pool with a few features can be $100k plus here, where I have seen $35k quotes on here for similar builds. Our replaster was $14k, which does not include the waterline tile (wife and I did that ourselves). I have seen replaster quotes on here for $5K. Florida seems to be the cheapest place to build a pool.

I've sent several local people my O/B costs through PM or email so they can see what local market was charging. Equipment and size listed below; including landscaping (22 tons of rock, irrigation 14 trees), 2,200 sq ft of spray decking, pole, brush, side vac etc. my build came to - $41,213.97 (yes, I tracked my costs down to the penny, anal that way).

It's fascinating to see the regional differences in building costs.

Great job on the pool. It must be a great feeling to enjoy your accomplishment with your family.

Come on up to New England, pricing for labor is much higher and so is overall pool pricing, the builds also have to deal with a lot of frosts, that complicates matters. I am up around $100K now, but that includes $12K for a fence, $30K or so for Pavers/Wall (Not done yet, this is actually what I am hoping the price will be, I got the stone for cost so this is actually REALLY cheap up this way), and many options. The pools up here tend to be bigger due to larger lots as well. I do not see many New pools around my area smaller then 20'x38' or so.

I agree with Martin, my kids are young, they would enjoy a $40K pool just as much, its all relative.

What really sucks for me is I am pretty sure I will be relocating for work, I just found out a month or so ago. It will be a sad day to let this go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.