Ugly water

MOM&POP DIY

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
I have been absent from the board for couple of weeks due to sudden family illness. I have returned home today, and my pool water is cloudy and dark in the deep area. Before the sickness, I had just begun to balance my water. I had added 3 bottles of CYA and baking soda. I have a SWG with salt reading of 3300 confirmed with strips. My husband has been landscaping the pool, and adding liquid chlorine from time to time in my absence. So today, as soon as I arrived, I tested my water and found the following readings with my TF100 kit

FC - 17
CC - .5
PH 7.5
T/A 80
CYA 55
Salt 3300
What do I do now to acheive clear, sparkling water?
Also, it is pine pollen days in NC - any advice for the yellow scum?

Thanks!
Mom

Maintain your FC at shock level, FC of 17 as you have it now. Do an overnight FC test, turn off the SWG for the evening, test FC in the evening and again first thing in the morning and see if you are losing any FC overnight. If FC goes down by more than 0.5 (or perhaps 1.0) then there is still live algae and you need to keep shocking.

Double check to see how your filter is doing, backwash/clean if that hasn't been done that in the last few days or if the pressure is high.

You should also double check how your returns are aimed and make sure that at least one return is aimed down and into the deep end to maintain good water circulation at depth.

Even if the algae is all dead, it may take several days for the water to clear up. If the algae is all dead and the filter is working the water should visibly improve each day.

Yes, follow Jason's advice. I was wondering myself, how often was the filter running while you were away? If this was a lack of circulation issue... what is your pump run time, perhaps increase it? How was the 17 reached, was he testing or was the 17 on purpose? What is the swg set to?

BTW, on a related note your CYA is still a little low for an SWG. Might consider bumping that up a little more to the 70-80 range after you figure out what's up with the deep end....

As you dig deepeer, I think you will find your FC has not been 17 very long. My bet is it got added not long before you tested, The key to clear water is a constant replenishment of the chlorine that is consumed by algae and sunlight.

In other words, chlorine must be added to your pool daily for your pool to be crystal clear.

What did your water look like before you left.......better or worse than now?

My water has never been clear. I had recently filled the pool, and was beginning the balancing. I had added baking soda and 3 bottles of cya - thinking that it would bring the level to about 50. My plan was to retest in one week, then slowly add CYA to get it near 70-80. I did add a little clorox, and my salt level is 3300. My filter/pump runs 24/7. Before I could recheck the CYA, my family member became very ill. I have been with her in hospital for past week and half, with very little care being given to the pool water. My husband poured a large bottle of Clorox in the pool 48 hours prior to the testing, and has tried to keep the leaves, etc scooped out,and done some vacuuming to get the construction sand out but he knows nothing of water care, as it was my job. It rained today again, and before heading back to the hospital, he walked out and looked at the pool. He said the water was a little clearer. So, bottom line the chlorine level was just a guess, and I think if I read the calculator right, my shock level is closer to 25. Should I add more chlorine - since we will not be swimming for several more weeks, should I worry about getting it to high?

Thanks all!

MOM&POP DIY said:
My water has never been clear. I had recently filled the pool, and was beginning the balancing. I had added baking soda and 3 bottles of cya - thinking that it would bring the level to about 50. My plan was to retest in one week, then slowly add CYA to get it near 70-80. I did add a little clorox, and my salt level is 3300. My filter/pump runs 24/7. Before I could recheck the CYA, my family member became very ill. I have been with her in hospital for past week and half, with very little care being given to the pool water. My husband poured a large bottle of Clorox in the pool 48 hours prior to the testing, and has tried to keep the leaves, etc scooped out,and done some vacuuming to get the construction sand out but he knows nothing of water care, as it was my job. It rained today again, and before heading back to the hospital, he walked out and looked at the pool. He said the water was a little clearer. So, bottom line the chlorine level was just a guess, and I think if I read the calculator right, my shock level is closer to 25. Should I add more chlorine - since we will not be swimming for several more weeks, should I worry about getting it to high?

Thanks all!

Sorry you are dealing with all this stress on top of getting the pool figured out.

I think your shock level is about 20.

You need to test the FC prior to adding chlorine, and then put the result in the "now" column and then your target of 20 in the "target" column. Then calculate (don't forget your pool gallons). So I get about 1 and 1/2 small jugs should bring you to 20. If you keep the FC at 20 until the water clears, and your CC is .5 or less and you don't lose any FC overnight (more than 1ppm), then you can let the level drop down to normal target for FC.

Keep shocking until those criteria are met. If the deep end doesn't clear, I'd get your pool installer back out to determine if there is poor circulation or some other contributing factor.

Hope this helps and your family situation improves.... :)

So I get about 1 and 1/2 small jugs should bring you to 20.
FPM is saying that assuming your FC is still at 17ppm.

On another note, if one large jug of clorox was added 48 hours prior to your arrival, that would've got your FC to about 3ppm at best....not 17ppm. Anyway, 17ppm is better than three but you must control your dosages carefully in your new pool....liner damage is possible....remote, but possible.

Next. take FPM's advice and follow it carefully, Keep you FC up around 20ppm CONSTANTLY testing and replenishing as often as you can. Run your pump 24/7, read Pool School, have POP and your pool will clear. Perhaps not as fast as you hope but it will clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.