How far from house should the grill be?

Sep 2, 2015
sacramento
I'm in the planning stages of an L-shaped island that will feature a sink and raised bar seating area. The island will be underneath my covered patio with one end of the "L" starting maybe just a few inches from the side of the house. Originally, I wasn't planning on adding a drop-in grill, but I'm going back and forth. My main grill is a six burner stand alone Weber summit, so I really don't need one. But, since I'm building an L-island, I was thinking maybe I include a grill.

My island will be built with steel studs and cement board. There's no wood in my plans. What is (if any) a safe distance to install the grill from the side of the house. Or the fact that it will be under the edge of the awning and near they house just a bad idea overall. I've seen many pics online of folks having a grill in an island near the side of the house, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Thank you.

From what I can tell, this setup (a nice one, BTW) is similar to a few others I've seen. Nothing's jumping out at me as a hazard. Just be aware that the stone behind the grill will likely discolor over time due to smoke coming out the vent that I presume is between the grill lid and body. If that vent hood above the grill is functional, that will certainly help reduce the frequency of any buildup.

I'm in the planning stages of an L-shaped island that will feature a sink and raised bar seating area. The island will be underneath my covered patio with one end of the "L" starting maybe just a few inches from the side of the house. Originally, I wasn't planning on adding a drop-in grill, but I'm going back and forth. My main grill is a six burner stand alone Weber summit, so I really don't need one. But, since I'm building an L-island, I was thinking maybe I include a grill.

My island will be built with steel studs and cement board. There's no wood in my plans. What is (if any) a safe distance to install the grill from the side of the house. Or the fact that it will be under the edge of the awning and near they house just a bad idea overall. I've seen many pics online of folks having a grill in an island near the side of the house, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Thank you.

Can you post a drawing or copy of your plans?

in addition to your building codes be sure to pick out your equipment, they have specifics for clearances from non combustible surfaces to combustable surfaces specific to their product, my grill only needed 4" clearance non combustible, it was around 18" to any wood etc if anything was combustable behind that surface

Justin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.