Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How far from house should the grill be?

1. Back To Top    #1

How far from house should the grill be?

I'm in the planning stages of an L-shaped island that will feature a sink and raised bar seating area. The island will be underneath my covered patio with one end of the "L" starting maybe just a few inches from the side of the house. Originally, I wasn't planning on adding a drop-in grill, but I'm going back and forth. My main grill is a six burner stand alone Weber summit, so I really don't need one. But, since I'm building an L-island, I was thinking maybe I include a grill.

My island will be built with steel studs and cement board. There's no wood in my plans. What is (if any) a safe distance to install the grill from the side of the house. Or the fact that it will be under the edge of the awning and near they house just a bad idea overall. I've seen many pics online of folks having a grill in an island near the side of the house, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How far from house should the grill be?

A "permanent" installation may have to meet local codes. I'd start there.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In theory building code calls for 1 foot from combustible material.

Confirm that for Cali.

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think mine is 1 foot from the brick wall. It sits in a cement board inclosure. No problems what so ever with heat on wall or surrounding stone

Might have to zoom in to see grill
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

5. Back To Top    #5

From what I can tell, this setup (a nice one, BTW) is similar to a few others I've seen. Nothing's jumping out at me as a hazard. Just be aware that the stone behind the grill will likely discolor over time due to smoke coming out the vent that I presume is between the grill lid and body. If that vent hood above the grill is functional, that will certainly help reduce the frequency of any buildup.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
    I'm in the planning stages of an L-shaped island that will feature a sink and raised bar seating area. The island will be underneath my covered patio with one end of the "L" starting maybe just a few inches from the side of the house. Originally, I wasn't planning on adding a drop-in grill, but I'm going back and forth. My main grill is a six burner stand alone Weber summit, so I really don't need one. But, since I'm building an L-island, I was thinking maybe I include a grill.

My island will be built with steel studs and cement board. There's no wood in my plans. What is (if any) a safe distance to install the grill from the side of the house. Or the fact that it will be under the edge of the awning and near they house just a bad idea overall. I've seen many pics online of folks having a grill in an island near the side of the house, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Thank you.
    Can you post a drawing or copy of your plans?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

in addition to your building codes be sure to pick out your equipment, they have specifics for clearances from non combustible surfaces to combustable surfaces specific to their product, my grill only needed 4" clearance non combustible, it was around 18" to any wood etc if anything was combustable behind that surface

Justin
    2015 Build, Stonescapes Mini Pebble-Blue Sea, 46.5'x23', 9' deep, Paramount IFCS on steps and shelfs, 8' spa with spillover, Quartzite Flagstone Coping and Patio, 3" Suctions and Returns, 1 skimmer, 6 Jandy LED Watercolor lights, Baja Shelf w/ diving rock, 2x 2HP Jandy VS E-Pump, Jandy LXI 400K BTU Heater Cupro/Nickel exchanger, Cartridge Filter, Grotto/Waterfall/ Slide, Jandy SWG, I-aqualink 2.0

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    I think mine is 1 foot from the brick wall. It sits in a cement board inclosure. No problems what so ever with heat on wall or surrounding stone

Might have to zoom in to see grill
    this looks great but next time I would recommend you unbox the TV before mounting it.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.