Skimmer question

Min

Aug 11, 2015
Buena Park / California
I am a new pool owner and noticed that my skimmer does not have a skimmer basket. So I have been cleaning pump basket time to time to remove the debris.
I am planning to buy a new skimmer basket.
However I just realized that I can find any information on my pool skimmer.
There is no name or serial number on the skimmer cover. In fact my skimmer is part of my IG plaster pool. Skimmer is like a plastic equpment with a basket that is installed into the pool on the skimmer level to skim the pool right??
Mine is like built in, part of the plaster pool itself with a single hole.
No detachable parts except the metal skimmer cover.
Do I have to somehow install a skimmer on top of this?
If it is not necessary how and what kind of skimmer basket can I use?

interesting, I don't think ive ever seen a square one? take the pictures and take some measurements to the pool store and see if they have any baskets that would fit. I've never seen square one, but if you need one im sure something is available. if you cant find it locally, may have to look online. the basket should fit inside the bottom compartment, where that hose currently is.

EDIT: based on the photos, it seems like that skimmer would need a basket that looks like this: OASE BioSys Skimmer Plus Basket | Pondliner.com or this Hayward Basket, Skimmer, Oem (spx1099b) - INYOPools.com

not sure about dimensions, etc

you sure that's not your auto water refill box? that kinda looks like mine does, dirty and unfinished - just has the little sensor balloon you can adjust to set the water level. although, it does have that hose that sticks out. just looks strange.

My neighbor had one like yours. The skimmer was all concrete molded right in with the pool and one line to the pump. That was it. I'd never seen anything like that before until now.

He recently had his pool redone and now has a normal skimmer. Maybe that square basket that Dan posted might work.

BTW, water level is low because I partially drained it last night due to high CYA level. Need to drain it little more.

This is the only skimmer I have. I have two holes on the side of my pool that return water and one hole little above the water level that fills the water when I turn the knob.

So this is very unsual I guess... Before I took over the pool care, I asked my PB about missing the skimmer basket but he said it is not a problem since I have a basket in my pump.
Is it going to be a problem?
Do I have to some how find or make a skimmer basket for my pool?

This is a better picture where you can see a hole in the skimmer. Pool vac was attached to that hole that is sticking out.

I do not know how previous owner maintain the pool. I just bought this house with a pool and the pool vac was already hooked up to the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too think a skimmer basket would be advisable. It will give you double protection for catching debris preventing it from clogging areas, or debris accidently dislodging from the pump basket, and possibly migrating to your impeller/pump itself. Without it I believe you are unnecessarily risking possible clogs, and/or equipment damage which can cost a good penny to repair. I hope this help, and have a wonderful day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.