Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer question

I am a new pool owner and noticed that my skimmer does not have a skimmer basket. So I have been cleaning pump basket time to time to remove the debris.
    I am planning to buy a new skimmer basket.
    However I just realized that I can find any information on my pool skimmer.
    There is no name or serial number on the skimmer cover. In fact my skimmer is part of my IG plaster pool. Skimmer is like a plastic equpment with a basket that is installed into the pool on the skimmer level to skim the pool right??
    Mine is like built in, part of the plaster pool itself with a single hole.
    No detachable parts except the metal skimmer cover.
    Do I have to somehow install a skimmer on top of this?
    If it is not necessary how and what kind of skimmer basket can I use?

13k gal / IG / plaster / DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer question

Is that the only skimmer? Is it just one big hole? Why is that water so low?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

interesting, I don't think ive ever seen a square one? take the pictures and take some measurements to the pool store and see if they have any baskets that would fit. I've never seen square one, but if you need one im sure something is available. if you cant find it locally, may have to look online. the basket should fit inside the bottom compartment, where that hose currently is.

EDIT: based on the photos, it seems like that skimmer would need a basket that looks like this: OASE BioSys Skimmer Plus Basket | Pondliner.com or this Hayward Basket, Skimmer, Oem (spx1099b) - INYOPools.com

not sure about dimensions, etc
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

you sure that's not your auto water refill box? that kinda looks like mine does, dirty and unfinished - just has the little sensor balloon you can adjust to set the water level. although, it does have that hose that sticks out. just looks strange.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

5. Back To Top    #5

My neighbor had one like yours. The skimmer was all concrete molded right in with the pool and one line to the pump. That was it. I'd never seen anything like that before until now.

He recently had his pool redone and now has a normal skimmer. Maybe that square basket that Dan posted might work.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll bet you could make one out of a similar shaped tupperware, with holes drilled all in it. Or maybe one of those plastic organizer paper trays that already have slits all over them. Or maybe one of those
    rolls of air filter material?

But there are square baskets out there. Just have to measure and find your fit.

ARMCO INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY C BASKET, 7" SKIMMER - SQUARE, GENERIC Part number AB-12OPT 5402-12

Replacement for Waterway Plastics Part 519-4030

HAYWARD SUPERPUMP BASKET SPX1600M
    My AG Frankenpool 16' / 6,041g
    Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix 1.5HP Pump
    Pentair 320 In-Line Chlorinator

7. Back To Top    #7

BTW, water level is low because I partially drained it last night due to high CYA level. Need to drain it little more.

This is the only skimmer I have. I have two holes on the side of my pool that return water and one hole little above the water level that fills the water when I turn the knob.

So this is very unsual I guess... Before I took over the pool care, I asked my PB about missing the skimmer basket but he said it is not a problem since I have a basket in my pump.
    Is it going to be a problem?
    Do I have to some how find or make a skimmer basket for my pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sunplay.com has all shapes and sizes of skimmer baskets.

Pool Skimmer Baskets | Pool Skimmers and Weirs | Sunplay.com
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

This is a better picture where you can see a hole in the skimmer. Pool vac was attached to that hole that is sticking out.

I do not know how previous owner maintain the pool. I just bought this house with a pool and the pool vac was already hooked up to the skimmer.

10. Back To Top    #10

you definitely want a skimmer basket, don't count on the pre basket in your pump.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I too think a skimmer basket would be advisable. It will give you double protection for catching debris preventing it from clogging areas, or debris accidently dislodging from the pump basket, and possibly migrating to your impeller/pump itself. Without it I believe you are unnecessarily risking possible clogs, and/or equipment damage which can cost a good penny to repair. I hope this help, and have a wonderful day.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you all for the replies. I will start looking for the right fit.