Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool chemicals question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool chemicals question

New pool owner and more questions . I went through all of the pool chemicals I found in the garage. Just want to confirm that I have the correct test, what they are for, and how to put them in the pool. Thanks in advance for responding!

Omega PH Plus, 100% Sodium Carbonate. pH Test. Purpose, increase pH level if pH too low. Put in skimmer?

Allclear pH UP, 100% Sodium Carbonate. pH Test. Purpose, increase pH level if pH too low. Put in skimmer?

Regal Clean Pool System PH Minus. 93.2% Sodium Bisulfate. pH Test. Purpose, decrease pH level if pH too high. Put in skimmer?

Omni Calcium Hardness Increaser. Calcium Hardness Test. Purpose, raise Calcium Hardness. Put in skimmer?

Regal Alkalinity Plus. 100% Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. Total Alkalinity Test. Purpose, increase Alkalinity. Put in skimmer?

Omega Chlor Sticks. 99.3% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione. Chlorine test? Purpose, increase Chlorine? Put in skimmer?
    [/URL]

Zappit Shock Treatment and Super Chlorinator. Calcium Hypochlorite. What is this for and is there a test for this? Put in skimmer?

Diatomite. What is this for and is there a test for this? Put in skimmer?

Amway L.O.C. Regular Ordinaire. When should this be used and on what?

Daycon Kleer 'N Brite. When should this be used and on what?
    Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool chemicals question

Ok it looks like the Daycon Kleer N Brite is just a general purpose cleaner, not a pool chemical, the rest are all somewhat useful pool chemicals, although many can be bought MUCH cheaper at the local big box store. For example that 100% Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate is just a fancy way of saying Baking Soda and charging more for it. Rather than answer each of the questions I will suggest you read the pool school articles in the link in the upper right of this page, in particular look at

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals tells you how to add each item. I'll just go identify them and let you read the instructions someone else has already typed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
    New pool owner and more questions . I went through all of the pool chemicals I found in the garage. Just want to confirm that I have the correct test, what they are for, and how to put them in the pool. Thanks in advance for responding!

Omega PH Plus, 100% Sodium Carbonate. pH Test. Purpose, increase pH level if pH too low. Put in skimmer? Same as Washing Soda or Soda Ash.

Allclear pH UP, 100% Sodium Carbonate. pH Test. Purpose, increase pH level if pH too low. Put in skimmer?
    Same as Washing Soda or Soda Ash.

Regal Clean Pool System PH Minus. 93.2% Sodium Bisulfate. pH Test. Purpose, decrease pH level if pH too high. Put in skimmer? Dry acid.

Omni Calcium Hardness Increaser. Calcium Hardness Test. Purpose, raise Calcium Hardness. Put in skimmer?Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals explains it

Regal Alkalinity Plus. 100% Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. Total Alkalinity Test. Purpose, increase Alkalinity. Put in skimmer? Same as Baking Soda

Omega Chlor Sticks. 99.3% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione. Chlorine test? Purpose, increase Chlorine? Put in skimmer?Trichlor. Raises FC and CYA and lowers pH. See Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Zappit Shock Treatment and Super Chlorinator. Calcium Hypochlorite. What is this for and is there a test for this? Put in skimmer? Cal-hypo Raises FC and CH. See Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Diatomite. What is this for and is there a test for this? Put in skimmer? That is filter media. You add it after a backwash. Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Amway L.O.C. Regular Ordinaire. When should this be used and on what? That's just a spray cleaner. Maybe for patio furniture? Shouldn't go in the pool.

Daycon Kleer 'N Brite. When should this be used and on what? That is a clarifier. Follow our methods and you will never need it. All it does is gum up the filter anyway.
    Since you have the stuff, use it up. Later you can buy the cheaper grocery store equivalents. Be very careful about adding powdered forms of chlorine, because they have other chemicals you may not want. I'd send the clarifier off to the next hazardous waste collection day. The only thing you pour down the skimmer is the Diatomaceous Earth, and that's only after backwashing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals tells you how to add each item. I'll just go identify them and let you read the instructions someone else has already typed up.

Since you have the stuff, use it up. Later you can buy the cheaper grocery store equivalents. Be very careful about adding powdered forms of chlorine, because they have other chemicals you may not want. I'd send the clarifier off to the next hazardous waste collection day. The only thing you pour down the skimmer is the Diatomaceous Earth, and that's only after backwashing.
    Wow, I so appreciate your detailed response! I guess I'll have to read up on what backwashing is, how to do it, and when!

Where do I put all of the other chemicals if not down the skimmer? Straight into the deep end of the pool, or near the jets?
    Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, I so appreciate your detailed response! I guess I'll have to read up on what backwashing is, how to do it, and when!

Where do I put all of the other chemicals if not down the skimmer? Straight into the deep end of the pool, or near the jets?
    Perhaps you should read the link I posted under Yoda.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Omega Chlor Sticksz
    Perhaps you should read the link I posted under Yoda.
    Thanks. I checked it out and see where to add bleach, baking soda, and soda ash. Can I apply the same to Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Bisulfate, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, Tri-Chlor, and Cal-Hypo?

If so, it should be this?

Sodium Carbonate, pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return
    Sodium Bisulfate, pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.
    Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, spreading it across the surface of the deep end of the pool
    Omega Chlor Sticks (Tri-Chlor), how do I put this in the pool?
    Zappit Shock Treatment and Super Chlorinator (Cal-Hypo), how do I put this in the pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

But until you get a good test kit you won't know if you even need any of those things.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Omega Chlor Sticksz

Thanks. I checked it out and see where to add bleach, baking soda, and soda ash. Can I apply the same to Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Bisulfate, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, Tri-Chlor, and Cal-Hypo?

If so, it should be this?

Sodium Carbonate, pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return
    Sodium Bisulfate, pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.
    Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, spreading it across the surface of the deep end of the pool
    Omega Chlor Sticks (Tri-Chlor), how do I put this in the pool?
    Zappit Shock Treatment and Super Chlorinator (Cal-Hypo), how do I put this in the pool?
    Trichlor typically has a floater or an inline dispenser plumbed into the return. Pictures

Cal-hypo should get predissolved in a bucket and then treated like bleach. The two forms of chlorine should never be mixed. That's not to say you can't add both to the pool one at a time, just don't mix them together in anything smaller than a pool, even in the dry state.

9. Back To Top    #9

Trichlor adds CYA along with the chlorine though, so you'll need to know all your test numbers and use the calculator to make sure you understand what adding things do to the chemistry of your pool.

Otherwise you're like I was just dumping shock and stuff and unknowingly creating a bad situation
    12000-ish In Ground, plaster, sand filter. New variable speed pump (Hayward I believe)

10. Back To Top    #10

Trichlor typically has a floater or an inline dispenser plumbed into the return. Pictures

Cal-hypo should get predissolved in a bucket and then treated like bleach. The two forms of chlorine should never be mixed. That's not to say you can't add both to the pool one at a time, just don't mix them together in anything smaller than a pool, even in the dry state.
    I see. I'll have to see if I have one of those floaters. I can't just put it into the skimmer basket?

For Cal-hypo, my pool guy told us to pour it into the skimmer. Is there a reason it can't just be poured into the skimmer or deep end? Is it because it won't dissolve and will end up in the pool filter?

I don't have the TF100 yet, but I used the cheap kit that I have and got these numbers:

Chlorine 2.8
    pH 8.1
    Alkalinity 120

11. Back To Top    #11

You do not want highly chlorinated water flowing through your equipment as it can damage it or sitting on the pool surfaces as it will damage those also.

The pH needs to be kept in the 7's so use your dry acid to lower it. Learn to use PoolMath, see my signature to see how much to use of each chemical.

I can not give advice on the other levels as we do not have all the chem levels.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, I ordered the Swimline 8720 Large Capacity Floating Chlorine Dispenser for the Chlor sticks.

Amazon.com : Swimline 8720 Large Capacity Floating Chlorine Dispenser : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Thanks, I ordered the Swimline 8720 Large Capacity Floating Chlorine Dispenser for the Chlor sticks.

Amazon.com : Swimline 8720 Large Capacity Floating Chlorine Dispenser : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden
    I have one of those. I have no idea where it is, I haven't used it in 2 years.

Read this Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

If you want a Trouble Free Pool you have to take some time to learn what the chemicals are you put in the pool and how they affect the pool and most importantly a good test kit.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah, until I get the TF100, I'm alternating between the Tri-Chlor and Cal-Hypo so that neither CH nor CYA goes out of control. I feel like I should use these since the previous owner already bought them. When I run out, I'll only buy liquid bleach.

Actually, I guess I should keep some Tri-Chlor and Cal-Hypo in case I need to raise CH or CYA, correct?

15. Back To Top    #15

You would be better off using bleach which removes the chance of either CYA or CH getting too high
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    You would be better off using bleach which removes the chance of either CYA or CH getting too high
    +1 on this. If CYA or CH get too high, the only want to fix it is to replace some of the water. You can save yourself a lot of trouble by just going straight to bleach, which adds neither.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.