Advice on new pool needs to be re-plastered

Our pool was installed this summer and within two weeks we started seeing staining all around the sides and bottom. It has gotten progressively worse over the last month and a half. We are putting in between 32-48oz of acid everyday to keep the PH at 7.4 (seems like a lot). All other chemicals levels are fine. The pool company owner came by a few weeks ago and took a plaster sample for testing, but I has not shared any results. Their communication during the whole process was poor. A plasterer will look at the pool tomorrow and the pool company project manager stated it is likely going to be a re-plaster job. What should I be asking for in terms of a re-plaster? I asked what the process was going to be and they said we will discuss after the plasterer looks at he pool. Should I expect the plaster to be removed down to the gunite or sandblast, bonding, and re-plaster. Would love to get some opinions and insights.

Pool details
17,500 gallons
Salt Water Generator
Pentair equipment
Spa
Water feature

If the plaster needs replacing it should be removed down to the gunite and replastered.

You say the chemical levels are "fine", but how are you testing and to what standard were you adjusting to make it "fine"? Had the pool builder completed the start up process and turned the pool over to you, was there no start up? Did they tell you how they wanted the pool cared for? Do you have any of the instructions they gave you in writing?

Expect that they will try to claim you did something wrong and thus the issues are your fault.

If the plaster needs replacing it should be removed down to the gunite and replastered.

You say the chemical levels are "fine", but how are you testing and to what standard were you adjusting to make it "fine"? Had the pool builder completed the start up process and turned the pool over to you, was there no start up? Did they tell you how they wanted the pool cared for? Do you have any of the instructions they gave you in writing?

Expect that they will try to claim you did something wrong and thus the issues are your fault.

I am using a Taylor testing kit and have been maintaining based on the TF pool calculator. Tough time with the builder as they didn't communicate anything. They did not explain the startup process at all or how to care for the pool other than brush daily, don't swim, no cleaner robot, and salt will be added later. They poured 2 gallons of something in the pool but don't know what it was and put chlorine tabs in the chlorinator. I bought a taylor kit and switched to liquid chlorine, balanced PH, Alkalinity, CYA, and hardness. The discoloration started the first week. I spoke to the owner, and he hasn't pushed the "you did something wrong" approach. They did take a plaster sample to test but I can't get any info from them on the outcome of that test. They wanted to acid wash the pool but I pushed back, will work with pool company for removal down to the gunite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.