Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on new pool needs to be re-plastered

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on new pool needs to be re-plastered

Our pool was installed this summer and within two weeks we started seeing staining all around the sides and bottom. It has gotten progressively worse over the last month and a half. We are putting in between 32-48oz of acid everyday to keep the PH at 7.4 (seems like a lot). All other chemicals levels are fine. The pool company owner came by a few weeks ago and took a plaster sample for testing, but I has not shared any results. Their communication during the whole process was poor. A plasterer will look at the pool tomorrow and the pool company project manager stated it is likely going to be a re-plaster job. What should I be asking for in terms of a re-plaster? I asked what the process was going to be and they said we will discuss after the plasterer looks at he pool. Should I expect the plaster to be removed down to the gunite or sandblast, bonding, and re-plaster. Would love to get some opinions and insights.

Pool details
    17,500 gallons
    Salt Water Generator
    Pentair equipment
    Spa
    Water feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on new pool needs to be re-plastered

If the plaster needs replacing it should be removed down to the gunite and replastered.

You say the chemical levels are "fine", but how are you testing and to what standard were you adjusting to make it "fine"? Had the pool builder completed the start up process and turned the pool over to you, was there no start up? Did they tell you how they wanted the pool cared for? Do you have any of the instructions they gave you in writing?

Expect that they will try to claim you did something wrong and thus the issues are your fault.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Advice on new pool needs to be re-plastered

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    If the plaster needs replacing it should be removed down to the gunite and replastered.

You say the chemical levels are "fine", but how are you testing and to what standard were you adjusting to make it "fine"? Had the pool builder completed the start up process and turned the pool over to you, was there no start up? Did they tell you how they wanted the pool cared for? Do you have any of the instructions they gave you in writing?

Expect that they will try to claim you did something wrong and thus the issues are your fault.
    I am using a Taylor testing kit and have been maintaining based on the TF pool calculator. Tough time with the builder as they didn't communicate anything. They did not explain the startup process at all or how to care for the pool other than brush daily, don't swim, no cleaner robot, and salt will be added later. They poured 2 gallons of something in the pool but don't know what it was and put chlorine tabs in the chlorinator. I bought a taylor kit and switched to liquid chlorine, balanced PH, Alkalinity, CYA, and hardness. The discoloration started the first week. I spoke to the owner, and he hasn't pushed the "you did something wrong" approach. They did take a plaster sample to test but I can't get any info from them on the outcome of that test. They wanted to acid wash the pool but I pushed back, will work with pool company for removal down to the gunite.