Yellow Brown Dirt Like Accumulation

Pool has been clear for7-8 months. Now I get yellow brown dirt like forming on surfaces. Brushed a few months ago and now it is back (also added quat algaecide) I understand that high levels of CYA and CH will prohibit chlorine form sanitizing. My numbers don't seem to be too high:

FC - 6.8
CC - 0.4
SALT (ON DISPLAY) - 3200
CH - 190
PH - 7.8
CYA - 60
TA - 100

Looking for some input. If I am to stay out of the pool store i need to know what to do from here.

Thanks,

Re: Algae - Need Help

Hello Scott and welcome to TFP. Algae basically thrives in water with poor sanitization where the chlorine level has been allowed to drop too low in relation to the CYA (stabilizer) level. They work together. What you will need to do now is "SLAM" your pool via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Follow this page carefully and you'll do fine. But don't skip anything. You'll also need to have the proper test kit to perform the SLAM (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006). One of those is a MUST. If you don't have one, you can get it from TFTestkits.net. If you have any questions, just let us know. Welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and stay away from any more pool store products (i.e. algaecides). Many of them add metal (copper) to your water which is a totally new challenge all on its own. :brickwall:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.