Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Increasing Over Time

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy CYA Increasing Over Time

Hello All,

As a newbie, I have been testing my water on a weekly basis to include pH, Alkalinity, Free and Combined Chlorine, CYA, Hardness and Salt levels utilizing a Taylor K2006-S test kit. I have learned on a general level, how my pool reacts to our environmental factors, etc. I have a good understanding of the chemistry changes, how long they take to occur, etc. in order to maintain the chemistry as close to the recommended ideal range as possible. But I have now come across an issue that I can't quite figure out and therefore, don't know how to correct it.

At the beginning of this season, I established the CYA (stabilizer) levels to the 30-50 ppm range. It held steady over the course of the hotter summer months, but has recently (over the past two to three weeks), has slowly increased up to the 80-100 ppm range. I add Baking Soda about every three weeks or so to bump up to alkalinity to the upper end of the ideal range of 80-100, and use muriatic acid to lower the pH on a weekly basis. Other than that, I add nothing. I use my Chlorine Generator to maintain the free Chlorine around 2-5 ppm mark with no issues.

I have read other threads on here about how CYA reacts and changes, but I can't find one that may explain this type of increase and what I can do to correct it.

Any help from the Jedi masters will be appreciated.
    11,700 Gallon Barrier Reef Oyster II In-ground Fiberglass, Saltwater with Pentair 305PX Aqua Comfort Chlorine Generator, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pump, and Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sq ft cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Increasing Over Time

I've not heard of seen any discussions that attribute CYA increase to anything other than the use of tablets/pucks, bags-of-shock, etc. However I will say that as a SWG pool owner, your CYA "should" be between 70-80. Any chance you actually increased it as directed and simply forgot?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding baking soda and then adding acid is a waste of money. You should be targeting a lower TA level to get out of that vicious cycle. I don't know where you are getting the "ideal range" of 80-100 and you should not be targeting the high end of that anyway. The Recommended Levels for an SWG pool is a TA of 60-80 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Using a K-2006 you should be able to get closer than CYA "ranges" you are giving.

Without accurate testing we really can't give you answers. If your CYA is really 80+ your chlorine level is low and NEVER should be below 4 at 80 and even higher as your CYA goes up.

Have you seen this: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the response. I used the ideal range as shown in the APSP recommended water chemistry guidelines as shown in the K2006-S booklet. I have never seen a separate guide just for an SWG pool. And you are right, it is rather vicious....I will check out your provided link. The other thing I did differently tonight when performing the CYA analysis, I performed it outdoors in the shade to see if the readings would be different than those normally performed in the garage under the overhead fluorescent lights. I performed it three times wit a reading of 70 ppm versus the 80-90 I read in the garage. I will continue to do so. Again, thanks for you advice - work smarter, not harder.

I will also lower the TA to the recommended levels and then monitor closely. Next season, I plan on incorporating borates into the mix to help with the pH.
    Last edited by Slappster; 09-04-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Additional info.
    11,700 Gallon Barrier Reef Oyster II In-ground Fiberglass, Saltwater with Pentair 305PX Aqua Comfort Chlorine Generator, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pump, and Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sq ft cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA test should be done with full sun at your back. Tube held from the top at waist level. There is a video showing how to do this
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend