What type of pool and what size is this?

Aug 11, 2015
Potomac, MD
Hi,

I just bought a house with a pool. What type of pool is this and what size? The deep end is about 5'.

IMG_20150902_185203.jpg

hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like a plaster pool. hard to tell, could be vinyl. what is the edge of the pool feel like? rough or plastic-y?

if you post some rough dimensions we can help with the volume. average length, widths, and depth at the ends and middle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's rough, then it's cement, which is the same as plaster, correct? It feels just like the public pools.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I didn't even know there were different types of pools (Fiberglass vs. Vinyl vs. Concrete)!

No problem for the questions. That's how we *all* were at first, I swear! Yes, rough is cement (unless someone has horrible, HORRIBLE calcium scale on a vinyl or fiberglass pool...you'd realize the rough then as being something wrong) and from what I understand there are some variations of cement, gunite, stone finishes, etc. but they're all considered the same for chemical upkeep as "cement/plaster". I have a fiberglass pool, others have vinyl lined pools and our chemistry needs are slightly different so hence the importance of knowing what you have.

From the picture, I'd say it's a gunite/shotcrete pool with ceramic tile and plaster. The giveaway is the skimmer. I don't see a flange and screws for a vinyl pool face plate.

Size? There's this really cool device that was invented many years ago called a "tape measure" that will really help in your situation. :wink: (just kidding!!!)

For pools, I use one that looks like this:
$_35.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

So I saw that the TF100 test has 7 tests. Which ones are needed for concrete pool?

Chlorine Test (OTO)
pH Test
Chlorine Test (FAS/DPD)
Combined Chloramines Test
Calcium Hardness Test
Total Alkalinity Test
Cyanuric Acid Test

ALL of them. The tests are critical to the health of swimmers and the life of the pool and equipment.

Speaking of equipment, post a picture of the pump, filter, etc when you have a chance. (edit - never mind... I found your other post!)

Welcome!

That's a beautiful pool, that needs attention sooner than later as I see a lot of green........

I hope you plan to order a proper test kit immediately.

How do you plan to chlorinate the pool?

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.