Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What type of pool and what size is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What type of pool and what size is this?

Hi,

I just bought a house with a pool. What type of pool is this and what size? The deep end is about 5'.

Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What type of pool and what size is this?

sorry the pictures are not showing up. do you have a photobucket account that you could use to post pictures?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

I find TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting easiest to use (no account needed) and you just upload the link it provides to the post and the pic appears.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry about that! Just figured out how to use photobucket.
    Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a GREAT pool with potential! Now order a TF100 test kit and get busy!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like a plaster pool. hard to tell, could be vinyl. what is the edge of the pool feel like? rough or plastic-y?

if you post some rough dimensions we can help with the volume. average length, widths, and depth at the ends and middle.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like a plaster pool. hard to tell, could be vinyl. what is the edge of the pool feel like? rough or plastic-y?

if you post some rough dimensions we can help with the volume. average length, widths, and depth at the ends and middle.
    Rough, so that's plaster, correct?

8. Back To Top    #8

I always say that if the tile at the edge can't be felt individually, its usually printed on vinyl. Your pool looks very cement-y to me
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I always say that if the tile at the edge can't be felt individually, its usually printed on vinyl. Your pool looks very cement-y to me
    If it's rough, then it's cement, which is the same as plaster, correct? It feels just like the public pools.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I didn't even know there were different types of pools (Fiberglass vs. Vinyl vs. Concrete)!

10. Back To Top    #10

correct, concrete/cement/plaster all the same thing.
    Dan

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
    If it's rough, then it's cement, which is the same as plaster, correct? It feels just like the public pools.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I didn't even know there were different types of pools (Fiberglass vs. Vinyl vs. Concrete)!
    No problem for the questions. That's how we *all* were at first, I swear! Yes, rough is cement (unless someone has horrible, HORRIBLE calcium scale on a vinyl or fiberglass pool...you'd realize the rough then as being something wrong) and from what I understand there are some variations of cement, gunite, stone finishes, etc. but they're all considered the same for chemical upkeep as "cement/plaster". I have a fiberglass pool, others have vinyl lined pools and our chemistry needs are slightly different so hence the importance of knowing what you have.

12. Back To Top    #12

So I saw that the TF100 test has 7 tests. Which ones are needed for concrete pool?

Chlorine Test (OTO)
    pH Test
    Chlorine Test (FAS/DPD)
    Combined Chloramines Test
    Calcium Hardness Test
    Total Alkalinity Test
    Cyanuric Acid Test

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

From the picture, I'd say it's a gunite/shotcrete pool with ceramic tile and plaster. The giveaway is the skimmer. I don't see a flange and screws for a vinyl pool face plate.

Size? There's this really cool device that was invented many years ago called a "tape measure" that will really help in your situation. (just kidding!!!)

For pools, I use one that looks like this:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
    So I saw that the TF100 test has 7 tests. Which ones are needed for concrete pool?

Chlorine Test (OTO)
    pH Test
    Chlorine Test (FAS/DPD)
    Combined Chloramines Test
    Calcium Hardness Test
    Total Alkalinity Test
    Cyanuric Acid Test
    ALL of them. The tests are critical to the health of swimmers and the life of the pool and equipment.

Speaking of equipment, post a picture of the pump, filter, etc when you have a chance. (edit - never mind... I found your other post!)
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

14. Back To Top    #14

he posted his equipment in another thread: Skimmers and valve questions
    Dan

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Welcome!

That's a beautiful pool, that needs attention sooner than later as I see a lot of green........

I hope you plan to order a proper test kit immediately.

How do you plan to chlorinate the pool?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    How do you plan to chlorinate the pool?
    Glad you asked. I just went through all of the pool items I found in the garage and am trying to figure out what is what. You can see this thread

Pool chemicals question