Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Manual Pressure Relief valve and when to use it?

1. Back To Top    #1

owasso, ok

Manual Pressure Relief valve and when to use it?

Hi All,

Newbie to pools here and I am trying to learn all I can. So grateful to find this site!

My question is: I have a Triton 2 sand pool filter with this valve on top and I don't know what/when I should be using it. Can someone enlighten me as to its function?

I understand the pressure gauge piece, but behind it there is a clear plastic thing with a turn that looks like it adjusts the pressure? When should I use this?
    Last edited by okiediver; 09-03-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: clarify--trying to change category and cant figure that out please move to approprate section!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Western Chicago Area, IL

Re: Manual Pressure Relief valve and when to use it?

That is just a threaded bleed valve, which can be backed out partially to allow air/water to reach the hole on the side. Occasionally, you can have a build up air after cleaning out the pump basket or anything else that introduces air to the system.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3
    Seattle, WA

Re: Manual Pressure Relief valve and when to use it?

Air that gets into your pumping system rises to the highest point and gets "stuck" there. The highest point for most pools is the top of the filter. The bleed valve allows you to burp that air out (while pump is running) so there's no trapped air.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.