2 speed pump question

The 0 reading could be a number of things, including the fact most filters come with very cheap gauges that are not all that accurate, so it may be like an old car where the speedometer did not move until you hit 3-5 mph. It may also be a siphon effect going on with your filter so you have negative pressure at low pump speed.

Agree. That pressure gauge is VERY nice. It is nice and big (larger than the typical ones we have) and the range is perfect so you get more fine resolution over a guage that goes up to 60 psi...which no pool really needs. It is also glycerin filled so that improves reliability and needle sticking. Vibrations won't bounce the needle around as they get dissipated by the fluid. I probably sound like I'm in love with it but it is just a really nice gauge and the price is excellent and it is miles better than the status quo on our filters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It may also be a siphon effect going on with your filter so you have negative pressure at low pump speed.

Issac-1, could you elaborate on this for me? You can PM me if you don't think its appropriate for the thread. Thanks!

In a typical pool setup you will always have positive pressure on the filter, but there could be more exotic setups where the filter is mounted at a level above the pool such that the weight of the water column returning to the pool through over sized return lines tries to make the water flow faster than the pump is pumping at that point in the plumbing system and therefore trying to draw a vacuum at the point where the gauge is located.

Ike

p.s. think about it like the way a plastic milk jug will collapse if there is a pinhole leak in the bottom. Just in this case the leak is the return flow to the pool, and the pump is not filling it back up faster than it is leaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.