Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed pump question

My filter pressure is about 10 when running on high,
    but goes to 0 when switched to low. Is that normal?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed pump question

Short answer, yes
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

sounds about right, mine on high is 14 and low is 3 to 4 psi
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

So at 0 pressure it is still filtering???
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure, just not as fast, and it's just not creating enough back-pressure to move the gauge any higher. Water is still flowing through the filter.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

... as long as you have water exiting you returns water is flowing through your filter. At low flow rates the filter is actually filtering better (more efficient). FYI mine is 18 high 4 low.
    20,000 gal, 18 x 36 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward 2610x152S two speed, Sta-Rite S870 sand filter, Raypak 265,000 BTU P-R26A-EP-C, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The 0 reading could be a number of things, including the fact most filters come with very cheap gauges that are not all that accurate, so it may be like an old car where the speedometer did not move until you hit 3-5 mph. It may also be a siphon effect going on with your filter so you have negative pressure at low pump speed.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

8. Back To Top    #8

I love this site!!!! Thank You guys!
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

If you would like better precision (0-30psi) and easy to read gauge I recommend one of ones (rear or bottom mount) at http://tftestkits.net/Flow-Meters-and-PSI-Gauges-c12/

Works great and is only $11 plus shipping.
    20,000 gal, 18 x 36 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward 2610x152S two speed, Sta-Rite S870 sand filter, Raypak 265,000 BTU P-R26A-EP-C, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Agree. That pressure gauge is VERY nice. It is nice and big (larger than the typical ones we have) and the range is perfect so you get more fine resolution over a guage that goes up to 60 psi...which no pool really needs. It is also glycerin filled so that improves reliability and needle sticking. Vibrations won't bounce the needle around as they get dissipated by the fluid. I probably sound like I'm in love with it but it is just a really nice gauge and the price is excellent and it is miles better than the status quo on our filters.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    It may also be a siphon effect going on with your filter so you have negative pressure at low pump speed.
    Issac-1, could you elaborate on this for me? You can PM me if you don't think its appropriate for the thread. Thanks!
    39,000 gal 48 x 22 gunite/pebble, SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo
    Jandy Aqualink RS; Jandy 60 DE Filter
    Polaris 280 Black "Manta Baby"
    3 Jandy WaterColors LEDs

12. Back To Top    #12

In a typical pool setup you will always have positive pressure on the filter, but there could be more exotic setups where the filter is mounted at a level above the pool such that the weight of the water column returning to the pool through over sized return lines tries to make the water flow faster than the pump is pumping at that point in the plumbing system and therefore trying to draw a vacuum at the point where the gauge is located.

Ike

p.s. think about it like the way a plastic milk jug will collapse if there is a pinhole leak in the bottom. Just in this case the leak is the return flow to the pool, and the pump is not filling it back up faster than it is leaking.