Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with selecting t-cell for Aqua Rite

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with selecting t-cell for Aqua Rite

I have a 24,150 gallon in ground plaster salt water pool. 8 years old. I bought a t-9 cell two years ago and it's been a problem since. My salt readings are off and the chlorine generation is very low to nothing. I can't get any chlorine reading on the outlet. All the lights seem fine and the cell looks fine but I really have no choice but to buy another cell. Amazon lists two cells. I was recommended to go with a t-15 (on this forum). The price isn't much different so I guess I will even thought its for 40K gallon. Actually Amazon has a GLX turbo cell for $400 for 40k and $385 for 25K. Go figure. It fits Fits hayward goldline aqua rite pro salt chlorination and chemistry automation model aqr-pro
    Also fits hayward goldline aqua plus salt chlorination and chemistry automation model pl-plus
    40K-Gallons; 4000 hour plate

The other Amazon option doesn't say GLX or anything - it says it fits Goldline AQR - PRO, AQR, or AQR-X296, or Goldline controllers. There's a big difference in price $335 for 25K gal and $409 for 40K.

The only thing on my control box is : GL-939001D on the door it says: 5A0707-1029534 EP097

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Chapel Hill, NC

24,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool - Aquarite SWG
    Pentair Whisperflo 1 1/4 dual power Pump
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with selecting t-cell for Aqua Rite

Going with a SWG that's oversized (recommended for 2x your pool volume) is what is recommended. This will allow you to run at a lower output percentage and extend the life of the cell with proper maintenance.

However, have you tried cleaning the cell? Instructions for cleaning it and removing potential scale inside the cell should be included in the manual.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I took it off and it's clean -- no build up at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Any idea on the GLX vs the other one that appears to be the basic one?
    Chapel Hill, NC

Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Neither of the model numbers you gave tells me anything about your control unit, and there are many different ones. The GLX cell is for units that include chemistry automation. If your controller is just the basic salt water chlorine generator control box, you want the standard T-15 cell. Look carefully at the warranty offered though. Some have one year and some three years and there is little to no price difference.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Can you post the diagnostics?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Can you post the diagnostics?
    32.4 (26.6 once green generating light came on)
    0.00 (6.68 once green generating light came on)
    51P
    AL-0
    r 1.59
    t-15

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor Kit

PH 7.4
    CYA 50
    CH 300
    TA 250
    FC 1.0
    Chapel Hill, NC

Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

There's your problem. You have the unit set for a T-15 cell, but you said you are using a T-9.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    There's your problem. You have the unit set for a T-15 cell, but you said you are using a T-9.

When it arrived, I'm fairly certain that those were the instructions that came with the unit. Are you certain that it should be set at T-9?
    Chapel Hill, NC

Cartridge Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

The panel should definitely be set to the type of T-cell you have. To change the T-cell value, hit the diagnostic button until you see T-15, then switch from AUTO to SUPER-CHLORINATE and back to AUTO. Each time you do that, you will cycle through to the next T-cell setting. Keep cycling until you select T-9 instead of T-15.
    53K Gallon Plaster in-ground with ALL Hayward equipment including Omnilogic Automation, Phantom Turbo Cleaner, SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Heater, Dual T-15 Salt cells. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speedstir.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The T-9 cell will still be marginal in your size pool, but at least you will be putting out some chlorine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

11. Back To Top    #11

It should be set to t-9. However, based on the numbers, the actual salt is probably over 4,500. The wrong setting has caused the salt level to read lower than actual. The high salt level has forced the t-9 to operate at the same output as a t-15. When you change the setting, the actual salt level will be displayed and might give a high salt error. Test the actual salt level.

12. Back To Top    #12

Based on the numbers, it looks like the cell is making plenty of chlorine. The lack of chlorine is likely to be caused by something else.

You could just continue to operate it as is (set to t-15) by maintaining the salt according to the box as long as the box reads at least 2,700 ppm. The actual salt would be about 4,500 ppm, but that's what some SWGs use anyway. Edit (Not recommended) End edit.

Or, you could change the setting to t-9 and lower the salt to the correct level.

Note: The main circuit board has been replaced at some point.

Edit Note 2: The system should be operated as specified per the manufacturer's instructions. End edit.

13. Back To Top    #13

From the manual (bold added):

To Set Turbo Cell Type
    Before operation, the Aqua Rite must be configured for the chlorinator cell that will be used. Refer to the following information and steps below to set the Turbo cell type.
    "t-3" = T-CELL-3, GLX-CELL-3-W "t-5" = GLX-CELL-5, GLX-CELL-5-W "t-9 = T-CELL-9, GLX-CELL-9-W "t-15" =T-CELL-15,GLX-CELL-15-W
    1. Slide the Main Switch to the "Auto" position.
    2. Push the Diagnostic button repeatedly until "t-xx" appears on the display ("t-15" is
    the factory default). If the desired cell type is displayed skip to step 4.
    3. To change to a different cell type, slide the Main Switch from "Auto" to "Super Chlorinate" and back to "Auto". Repeat this process until the desired cell type is
    displayed.
    4. Push the Diagnostic button to exit.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

14. Back To Top    #14

You are correct. It should be operated as shown in the manual.

I just noted that it could be operated as set. However, I should have specified that that was not a good option.