DE added to sand filter... No pressure rise

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Hey guys,

Over the last 4 hours I've added a total of 3 cups of DE to my sand filter with no rise of pressure. Should I continue adding until I see a rise or just let it run its course. I keep checking psi every 30 minutes but no change. I'm afraid it's going to sky rocket over night. I swear I'm seeing a sparkle but may be wishful thinking.

Wow! That's a lot of DE. Most people adding DE typically report needing to add less than a cup.

What size is your sand filter? Are you sure the pressure gauge is working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was shocked....started by just adding 1/4 cup. Gauge works great. Normal pressure runs at 18 and had only teetered a tad between 18-19 back and forth.

- - - Updated - - -

None at all....everything's running great. I'm wondering if it would be best to turn it off overnight just in case it finally starts rising.

You could also backwash if you don't feel bad losing that DE, it'd help calm your nerves I think. I just added a quarter cup myself and may not have seen a huge rise, but definitely helped filter, so was just sticking with that...

I figured I got rid of the first 2 cups by back washing so started over. Just checked pressure and it's still the same here's my filter
4e0ff242191c54a3cbe4f5ed4ed25e32.jpg

What size would us call it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my sand filter has run pretty consistently at 18 for 3 years. I have good pressure. I'm sure this thing has never been cleaned (foreclosure) but I can't get the hubs to tackle it. I have not cut off valves or unions. All the pvc runs straight to filter and would have to be cut and he refuses to attempt it. He's not a pool guy, doesn't swim and refuses to learn....cause geez then he'd have to do it. But I didn't say that...��

my sand filter has run pretty consistently at 18 for 3 years. I have good pressure. I'm sure this thing has never been cleaned (foreclosure) but I can't get the hubs to tackle it. I have not cut off valves or unions. All the pvc runs straight to filter and would have to be cut and he refuses to attempt it. He's not a pool guy, doesn't swim and refuses to learn....cause geez then he'd have to do it. But I didn't say that...��

look at the deep cleaning sand filter link in pool school. you can do it, you don't need your husband. just involves some time and using a garden hose.

easy way to test the gauge...next time someone is swimming, tell them to push their hand against one of the returns to block the flow. that will create some back pressure and you should see a rise in the pressure on the gauge, probably one or two psi

look at the deep cleaning sand filter link in pool school. you can do it, you don't need your husband. just involves some time and using a garden hose.

I'm comfident I can do the cleaning part but not getting it disconnected from the pvc...may just have to hire someone

- - - Updated - - -

easy way to test the gauge...next time someone is swimming, tell them to push their hand against one of the returns to block the flow. that will create some back pressure and you should see a rise in the pressure on the gauge, probably one or two psi

Good idea..I'll try that. I know the pressure drops to 10 when I hook up my kreepy krawly

I'm comfident I can do the cleaning part but not getting it disconnected from the pvc...may just have to hire someone

If you do hire someone to cut the straight PVC glued into your filter then make sure they install PVC unions so that you can remove the top of the filter as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.