Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE added to sand filter... No pressure rise

1. Back To Top    #1

DE added to sand filter... No pressure rise

Hey guys,

Over the last 4 hours I've added a total of 3 cups of DE to my sand filter with no rise of pressure. Should I continue adding until I see a rise or just let it run its course. I keep checking psi every 30 minutes but no change. I'm afraid it's going to sky rocket over night. I swear I'm seeing a sparkle but may be wishful thinking.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE added to sand filter... No pressure rise

Wow! That's a lot of DE. Most people adding DE typically report needing to add less than a cup.

What size is your sand filter? Are you sure the pressure gauge is working?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Any reduction in flow?
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

4. Back To Top    #4

I was shocked....started by just adding 1/4 cup. Gauge works great. Normal pressure runs at 18 and had only teetered a tad between 18-19 back and forth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    Any reduction in flow?
    None at all....everything's running great. I'm wondering if it would be best to turn it off overnight just in case it finally starts rising.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    I was shocked....started by just adding 1/4 cup. Gauge works great. Normal pressure runs at 18 and had only teetered a tad between 18-19 back and forth.

- - - Updated - - -

None at all....everything's running great. I'm wondering if it would be best to turn it off overnight just in case it finally starts rising.
    You could also backwash if you don't feel bad losing that DE, it'd help calm your nerves I think. I just added a quarter cup myself and may not have seen a huge rise, but definitely helped filter, so was just sticking with that...
    12000-ish In Ground, plaster, sand filter. New variable speed pump (Hayward I believe)

6. Back To Top    #6

I backwashed before adding the last cup, just in case. Running out to check pressure again now.
    Montgomery, AL

7. Back To Top    #7

Wait - what? If you backwashed after the first two cups, you pushed them out the waste tube and were starting back at zero.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    Wait - what? If you backwashed after the first two cups, you pushed them out the waste tube and were starting back at zero.
    What he said...backwashing removes all DE from the filter.

Maybe just add 1/2 a cup or a cup and let it sit overnight?
    12000-ish In Ground, plaster, sand filter. New variable speed pump (Hayward I believe)

9. Back To Top    #9

DE added to sand filter... No pressure rise

I figured I got rid of the first 2 cups by back washing so started over. Just checked pressure and it's still the same here's my filter

What size would us call it?

Montgomery, AL

10. Back To Top    #10

Another thought. This filter has never been deep cleaned. If the sand was channeling could that be it?

Montgomery, AL

11. Back To Top    #11

The model #S220T indicates 22" filter which uses 250# sand.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt1 View Post
    The model #S220T indicates 22" filter which uses 250# sand.
    Thanks...don't know if that's good or bad, but it seems to be working ok. Pressure still hasn't gone up w 1 lb DE added
    Montgomery, AL

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I'm not a sand filter person, I have a 4 cartridge filter system. With sand, does 18lbs, sound right for after backwash? I'm asking because mine runs at 8lbs.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

my sand filter has run pretty consistently at 18 for 3 years. I have good pressure. I'm sure this thing has never been cleaned (foreclosure) but I can't get the hubs to tackle it. I have not cut off valves or unions. All the pvc runs straight to filter and would have to be cut and he refuses to attempt it. He's not a pool guy, doesn't swim and refuses to learn....cause geez then he'd have to do it. But I didn't say that...��
    Montgomery, AL

15. Back To Top    #15

my sand filter has run pretty consistently at 18 for 3 years. I have good pressure. I'm sure this thing has never been cleaned (foreclosure) but I can't get the hubs to tackle it. I have not cut off valves or unions. All the pvc runs straight to filter and would have to be cut and he refuses to attempt it. He's not a pool guy, doesn't swim and refuses to learn....cause geez then he'd have to do it. But I didn't say that...��
    look at the deep cleaning sand filter link in pool school. you can do it, you don't need your husband. just involves some time and using a garden hose.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

16. Back To Top    #16

How confident are you in the gauge itself? Might be worth $11 to rule that out.

17. Back To Top    #17

easy way to test the gauge...next time someone is swimming, tell them to push their hand against one of the returns to block the flow. that will create some back pressure and you should see a rise in the pressure on the gauge, probably one or two psi
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    look at the deep cleaning sand filter link in pool school. you can do it, you don't need your husband. just involves some time and using a garden hose.
    I'm comfident I can do the cleaning part but not getting it disconnected from the pvc...may just have to hire someone

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    easy way to test the gauge...next time someone is swimming, tell them to push their hand against one of the returns to block the flow. that will create some back pressure and you should see a rise in the pressure on the gauge, probably one or two psi
    Good idea..I'll try that. I know the pressure drops to 10 when I hook up my kreepy krawly
    Montgomery, AL

19. Back To Top    #19

I'm comfident I can do the cleaning part but not getting it disconnected from the pvc...may just have to hire someone
    If you do hire someone to cut the straight PVC glued into your filter then make sure they install PVC unions so that you can remove the top of the filter as needed.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    If you do hire someone to cut the straight PVC glued into your filter then make sure they install PVC unions so that you can remove the top of the filter as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do that for sure....thanks Matt
    Montgomery, AL