Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Shimmering Sea???

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Adding Shimmering Sea???

Hi, I am seriously thinking about adding Shimmering Sea (Abalone Shell) to our Blue Surf Pebble Sheen. Big question, my PB wants $500 to add it. Is it worth the add, and is $500 too much? Any input is appreciated!
    17K gal IG Shockrete ff 30x20 446sq. 87' 3.5-6' sunshelf bub. 12" raised planter slv sf travertine 3' sheer descent 2 sconces brass Hayward StarClear Plus C17502 Cartridge filter Hayward AquaRite T15 Salt system Hayward Super 2, 2sp. 2 hp pump Hayward Colorlogic LED 1 pool in the deep 1 spa in shallow Coping Silver tumbled travertine Tile Noble Siren Decking 1500'Flagstone Cr/bg/ch Herritage

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Adding Shimmering Sea???

I have the shimmering sea shells and love them. It's possible they wear away or dissolve over time, but I love them. The prices really seem to vary.

Mine were $350 for a bag, and I wonder if I got the full bag. I've heard of someone getting them for free, another person paid $100 for a bag, etc. I guess it depends on area, pool builder, and applicators.

I wish I had more, but I probably wouldn't have wanted to pay more.

I haven't really seen a photo that captures their sparkle, so I went on the word from here - glad I did.

There's also discussion about the distribution of the shells in the pool. Some people say they show more in the shallow areas which makes sense and maybe more so with the darker finishes. I don't know. Some people want them mixed in on the walls.

I have Blue Granite and this is where mine are:
    Mixed in on the walls
    Sparsely hand broadcasted over the rest of the pool - very uneven.
    I see them very well in the deep end and love them there too.

What I would do next time:
    None on the walls
    Buy one and a half bags (but probably not over $500)
    Evenly sprinkled over the entire pool
    On the fence about adding them to the spa.

There is also an option now of adding a bag of PebbleTec luminous beads to sheen or tec. Check out Ummgood's thread for more info or go to the Pebble tec website.
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

You may want to ask the plaster guys when they get there... In my case, the PB was quoting exorbitant amounts to add the shells..

But the pebble tech guys had many bags in their truck and added TONS of these for $200! I mean a lot.. maybe 3 or 4 bags... maybe more .. the shells are in every nook and corner of the pool..
    They even mixed it with the pebble AND sprinkled extra when troweling.
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I used 2x the standard amount on my pebbletec and I love it. It is everywhere and it looks great but 500 for a bag is nuts. My PB didn't charge extra.

20k gal IG Pebble with spa. Hayward Ecostar, 525 sqft cartridge filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Prologic PS-8, T-15 salt cell, FloVis flow meter, Belgard paver deck

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok I got clarification from the PB today the $500 is for 3 bags.
    17K gal IG Shockrete ff 30x20 446sq. 87' 3.5-6' sunshelf bub. 12" raised planter slv sf travertine 3' sheer descent 2 sconces brass Hayward StarClear Plus C17502 Cartridge filter Hayward AquaRite T15 Salt system Hayward Super 2, 2sp. 2 hp pump Hayward Colorlogic LED 1 pool in the deep 1 spa in shallow Coping Silver tumbled travertine Tile Noble Siren Decking 1500'Flagstone Cr/bg/ch Herritage

6. Back To Top    #6

Do it! I love mine!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

7. Back To Top    #7

$500 for three bags isn't bad
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thought I would post some pics from mine.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread