Help! Need quickly pass pool/deck inspection, selling house.

morzh

Jul 3, 2015
Jackson, NJ
II am having a problem, so !looking for any advice<br><br>I am selling a house I bought 10 years ago that has a 1987 built Doughboy AGP. It was bought and self  installed by the original owner. The house since was resold three times and it is now when I am selling it, that they have realized the pool and deck have not been inspected. (The permits were obtained ).<br>The problem: pool edge is below 48" from ground.<br>Also need safety access gate, the deck has regular swinging one.<br><br>I have just ordered GLI kit (safety fence) to raise the pool walls.<br>Still looking to where to get safety gate. <br>Need it quick - closing is soon and I cannot get CCO.<br><br><br>Will appreciate any hints.<br>I am in Jackson NJ.

I just finished most of my deck around my pool. My pool is over the 48" required but since my deck comes off of my house I ran into the same issue. Now depending on the building code where you live that will be what is required. The international building code allows gates and barriers under the 54" requirement as I have my gate and railing at 38". With this I had to ensure there was no more then a 1/2" opening with 18" of the gate. I also had to place the latch down I think 3" below the top of the gate so you have to reach over to open it. I made my gate out of pressure treated wood solid no openings used normal gate hinges found at Lowes or Home Depot and a gate spring to close it. You can modify the one you have if allowed by code in your area but some areas are more stringent then the IBC so you really need to ask the inspector if this is possible. Also make sure the gate swings away from the pool. Last I knew it could not swing in towards the pool.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had wondered about merely placing springs, a latch, and a padlock on the actual pool gate itself which is what we actually use here. Although our gate is 5 ft. The padlock is discussed in 6 C 1 a and b below. If your gate is wooden you can add Lattice or plywood to the top to raise the height.

I think as long as it opens out, not in, as Mike mentioned above, It has a spring to close and latch it, there is no climbable boards or bars on it (depending on whether you are using chain link or privacy fencing, the gap between the bar on both sides is small enough to prevent a child from squeezing through, and you lock it up with a padlock you shouldn't have an issue passing inspection.

All the information is directly quoted from the link below. Only a small portion of the info was copied into the post. To read the NJ law in it's entirety go to this link: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills/S1500/1278_I1.HTM

4. A swimming pool shall be entirely enclosed by a wall, fence, or other barrier meeting the following specifications:
a. The wall, fence, or barrier shall have a minimum vertical height of five feet, as measured on the side farthest from the swimming pool;
b. Any openings in the wall, fence, or barrier shall be of a size so that a spherical object four inches in diameter cannot pass through;
c. If the wall, fence, or barrier has horizontal components, they shall be:
(1) Spaced a minimum of 45 inches apart, measured vertically; or
(2) Placed on the side of the wall, fence, or barrier closest to the swimming pool. In such a case, the wall, fence, or barrier shall not have any openings greater than one and three-quarter inches, measured horizontally;
d. In the case of wire mesh or chain link fences, the mesh size shall be a maximum of one and three-quarter inches, measured horizontally;
e. The wall, fence, or barrier shall not contain any openings, handholds, or footholds accessible from the exterior side of the enclosure than can be used to climb the structure; and
f. The wall, fence, or barrier shall be at least 20 inches from the edge of the water.

5. Any gate in the wall, fence, or barrier required pursuant to section 4 of P.L. , c. (C. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill) shall open outward from the swimming pool and be self-closing and self-latching. In addition, the gate shall either:
a. Be secured by a padlock or similar device which requires a key, electric opener, or integral combination; or
b. Have its latch located:
(1) A minimum of 54 inches above the underlying ground; or
(2) On the side of the gate closest to the swimming pool, with a release mechanism a minimum of five inches below the top of the gate. A gate meeting these specifications shall not have any opening greater than one-half inch within 24 inches of the release mechanism.

6. If a residence or living area constitutes part of the wall, fence, or barrier required pursuant to section 4 of P.L. , c. (C. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill), the owner may elect one of the following in lieu of meeting all the specifications outlined in sections 4 and 5 of P.L. , c. (C. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill):
a. A wall, fence, or barrier between the swimming pool and the residence or living area, that has a minimum vertical height of four feet, as measured on the side farthest from the swimming pool and meets all the specifications outlined in subsections b. through f. of section 4 and all of section 5 of P.L. , c. (C. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill);
b. A motorized safety pool cover which requires the operation of a key switch and meets all applicable standards set by the American Society of Testing and Materials. The safety pool cover shall not require any manual operation other than the use of the key switch;
c. (1) All ground level doors or other doors with direct access to the swimming pool shall be self-closing and self-latching. In addition, the door shall either:
(a) Be secured by a padlock or similar device which requires a key, electric opener, or integral combination; or
(b) Have its latch located:
(i) A minimum of 54 inches above the underlying ground; or
(ii) On the side of the gate closest to the swimming pool, with a release mechanism a minimum of five inches below the top of the door. A door meeting these specifications shall not have any opening greater than one-half inch within 24 inches of the release mechanism; and

I hope this helps. Have a nice night :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.