DIY in Texas?

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
In Cypress, Texas and I work from home. I'm seriously looking into myself as a PB option but I want to research the pros and cons aside from just the obvious. Anybody have relevant input? Anybody been successful near me recently or have subs they recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am doing mine. But I'm here in AZ. It is not hard to be your on contractor, but you do spend a lot of time looking for the right sub and getting bids and also you do have to watch over the work.
Best part about it is that you will save a lot of money and can do upgrades for next to nothing if you talk your subs into it for a little bit more cash. Keep in mind equipment is pricey so that adds up quick. I am about 9K in equipment and lights, but i added just about every high end feature you can think off.

If you have a connect with someone with a pool parts account, you will save a lot of money and taxes. That is what i did. If you buy retail, then expect to pay retail price which is not pretty. Buying your equipment online is a great way to save, but you have to wait for shipping and if something is defective then you have to ship back etc....

Best way to start is to draw up a design. I paid a pool designer to do mine, but money well spent. Cost me like $350. Then get engineering for the pool done through a pool engineer. Runs about $350 and up depending on how complex you want it. keep in mind that I am in AZ. Depending on how your ground is in Texas and wether you need rataining walls, that will add up real quick to engineering.

Also, check your city codes and permit requirements. Each city is different.

There was someone that did a DIY on the north side of Houston earlier this year that had a fairly detailed build thread. Sorry I can't recall many more details, I think they were in the Conroe area, but don't really recall, I just remember it was one of the northern suburbs.

I believe this is the pool build Isaac-1 mentioned:

New DIY in The Woodlands, Texas

This guy is awesome and did a great job of being and OB - Owner Builder. I think it's a little different from a DIY pool where the owner does much of the work himself. In this one TW Pool found and scheduled his own subs. He seemed to enjoy it (as much as you can say it's fun when in the middle of it). I know he offered to give his list of subs to others in the area. You might try sending him a PM and see if he responds.

Good luck!
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

Also..... he has several threads, so I believe his completed photos must be on another thread. Click on his username on the left side of the page. That will take you to his different threads and posts he made on other threads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.