Moderator note - Moved from here: hth stabilizer conditioner? same as cya?
Resurrecting an old thread as I have a question after using this HTH product.
The one I used is that at http://www.homedepot.com/p/HTH-4-lb-...1316/100239944. It lists CYA at 96%, the rest being 4% of inert ingredients. The MSDS at http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...24d018203a.pdf lists these: 97-99% of 1,3,5-TRIAZINE-2,4,6(1H,3H,5H)-TRIONE, 0-1% water, 0-1% Ammelide, 0-1% 1,3,5-TRIAZIN-2(1H)-ONE, 4,6-DIAMINO-. It seems to me one of the inert ingredients has locked my pool's TA.
As my pool's CYA level was a bit low, I upped it up using this product. Since doing this, my TA is locked at what it was prior to application, i.e. 90. Every time I add MA to lower the rising pH, TA no longer goes down (but used to before and I had to add baking soda to keep it around 80). This would be great if TA were at less than 90 (though I don't understand why TA is locked). I would like to now lower TA to 70 hoping to slow down pH rises but I just don't know how to achieve this TA of 70.
Would anyone know? Chemgeek?