Pool emptied / Liner damage

Jun 12, 2015
ELMHURST
At the beginning of the season my above ground pool (round 18') was emptied and cleaned and then filled. I understand now that emptying can possible damage the liner. We had a great swimming season and took good care of the pool thanks to the help of the forum. On Sunday night I noticed that the water was down past the skimmer, and I assumed one of the plumbing connections came loose. When I went back out Tuesday evening the whole entire pool was empty. I was shocked. I didn't notice any major holes in the liner, but I dont understand how it could empty that fast if it was a small hole.

I need to go out tonight and inspect it carefully. The liner also looks really loose but I don't know if that is just normal when the pool is empty.

Can someone help walk me through what I need to do? Is it possible to patch the liner? If not do I need to replace the liner? How much would that potentially cost? It's about time to close the pool down anyways, how much do I need to fill it to leave it for the winter season? Any other help or pointers I'd greatly appreciate. I can take some picture tonight if that would help.

Thanks, I know this is might be a stupid question but any tips to trying to find the hole(s)? Is there certain key spots they are often found? Does it indicate anything that the pool emptied entirely in 2 days, appears on most threads here that they drain much much slower.

EDIT: Also would you be able to answer the questions about ballpark number for replacing the liner and what the minimum I can refill it for the winter season.

Well, first off, if your entire pool is empty, then the hole in your liner is in the bottom, or else the entire pool would not have emptied.

You should be able to get in there (no shoes - socks or bare feet) and feel around in a systematic pattern and find the hole.

What worries me is that to drain that much water, that has to be a pretty big hole. The fact that you cannot see it leads me to think you may have multiple holes. I would check the entire bottom for holes, and patch whatever you find. Then add 6" of water and see if that stays. If it does, add 6" more of water and give that 12 hours or so. Keep going in 6" increments to see if there are any other leaks.

Looks like an over lap plain blue liner would run you just over $100. If that's the way you want to go, then set the new liner n fill it to just under the skimmer n return n cover it for the winter.

The fact that you lost all of your water in a matter of 2 days leads me to believe you have a pretty decent sized hole or seam failure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.