Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool emptied / Liner damage

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool emptied / Liner damage

At the beginning of the season my above ground pool (round 18') was emptied and cleaned and then filled. I understand now that emptying can possible damage the liner. We had a great swimming season and took good care of the pool thanks to the help of the forum. On Sunday night I noticed that the water was down past the skimmer, and I assumed one of the plumbing connections came loose. When I went back out Tuesday evening the whole entire pool was empty. I was shocked. I didn't notice any major holes in the liner, but I dont understand how it could empty that fast if it was a small hole.

I need to go out tonight and inspect it carefully. The liner also looks really loose but I don't know if that is just normal when the pool is empty.

Can someone help walk me through what I need to do? Is it possible to patch the liner? If not do I need to replace the liner? How much would that potentially cost? It's about time to close the pool down anyways, how much do I need to fill it to leave it for the winter season? Any other help or pointers I'd greatly appreciate. I can take some picture tonight if that would help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool emptied / Liner damage

Depending on what you find, it may be possible to patch the liner.

The rest of your questions are unanswerable without more information.....

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I know this is might be a stupid question but any tips to trying to find the hole(s)? Is there certain key spots they are often found? Does it indicate anything that the pool emptied entirely in 2 days, appears on most threads here that they drain much much slower.

EDIT: Also would you be able to answer the questions about ballpark number for replacing the liner and what the minimum I can refill it for the winter season.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, first off, if your entire pool is empty, then the hole in your liner is in the bottom, or else the entire pool would not have emptied.

You should be able to get in there (no shoes - socks or bare feet) and feel around in a systematic pattern and find the hole.

What worries me is that to drain that much water, that has to be a pretty big hole. The fact that you cannot see it leads me to think you may have multiple holes. I would check the entire bottom for holes, and patch whatever you find. Then add 6" of water and see if that stays. If it does, add 6" more of water and give that 12 hours or so. Keep going in 6" increments to see if there are any other leaks.
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like an over lap plain blue liner would run you just over $100. If that's the way you want to go, then set the new liner n fill it to just under the skimmer n return n cover it for the winter.

The fact that you lost all of your water in a matter of 2 days leads me to believe you have a pretty decent sized hole or seam failure.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I am guessing seam failure, which is a lot harder to patch than a hole. In that case, I would replace the liner. And yes, you should not completely empty the pool. It's bad for your wall, too.
    14,000 gallon above ground 24ftx56in round vinyl overlap liner steel wall sand filter 1/2 hp pump heavy lime in city water morning shade

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you found the hole/holes yet?

I am sorry this happened to you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit