Scotch Plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I was wondering the TFP method has preference for lowering the CC. Oxidizer or Shock? What is the difference? It seems to me that they both accomplish the same thing....so which one is better for a salt water pool?

Bleach. Just plain, everyday, nothing special bleach. And sunlight. And figuring out what is in the pool causing the chlorine to breakdown.

What does your water look like? Clear enough in the deepest part to see a quarter? or a dime?

What kit are you using to test for CCs?

How high are the CC's? Generally the UV from the sun is enough to burn off the CC's. I only see folks with higher CC when they keep the pool covered all the time or have something growing in the water.

Part of the problem is terminology, the pool industry as a whole has misused both the term shock and oxidizer (more so with shock) so much that it is hard to know what people are actually referring to when they use those terms, around here we teach a proper understanding of the effects and side effects of pool chemicals, we therefore try to refer to them by there chemical names or at least the short version of those chemical names. In the pool industry the term shock when applying to a product can mean any of about 5 or 6 chemicals, primarily liquid chlorine / bleach, dichlor, trichlor, cal-hypo, lithium-hypo, or even MPS (chlorine free shock), each one having different secondary effects that may be good or bad depending on the chemical balance of your pool.

No. I used a pool store oxidizer (Do not recall the product name, but is a Chlorine Free Shock) a few months ago, but have not shock/oxydize since. Whenever I get high CC reading, I have been setting my SWG to 100% for 12 hours and it has been lowering my CC reading. However, I do not want to keep doing this, if there is a better way.

Ok, a few more questions, first off have you bee using any MPS based shock or other pool store magic potions (Yellow out, etc.)

I asked because some Yellow Out products directly produce CC, and MPS chlorine free shock will falsely show as CC on the common test. (there is a special test for MPS). Another question for you, how his is the CC getting, and does your pool get good sunlight exposure (is there a cover, etc.)? I am trying to see if there is an underlying cause for the CC that needs to be treated.

Interesting. I have not used any in about 2 months. The funny thing is that today I tested again and my CC is 0 without me adding anything but muratic acid to lower my PH.

"Chlorine Free Shock" is almost always MPS and that falsely shows up as either FC or CC depending on the type of test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.