Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Oxidizer vs shock

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Union, NJ
    Posts
    128

    Oxidizer vs shock

    I was wondering the TFP method has preference for lowering the CC. Oxidizer or Shock? What is the difference? It seems to me that they both accomplish the same thing....so which one is better for a salt water pool?
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

  2. Back To Top    #2

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cartersville Ga
    Posts
    4,105

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    Bleach. Just plain, everyday, nothing special bleach. And sunlight. And figuring out what is in the pool causing the chlorine to breakdown.

    What does your water look like? Clear enough in the deepest part to see a quarter? or a dime?

    What kit are you using to test for CCs?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Franklin, NC
    Posts
    9,184

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    How high are the CC's? Generally the UV from the sun is enough to burn off the CC's. I only see folks with higher CC when they keep the pool covered all the time or have something growing in the water.
    TFP Moderator

    Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

    Support the site

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    Part of the problem is terminology, the pool industry as a whole has misused both the term shock and oxidizer (more so with shock) so much that it is hard to know what people are actually referring to when they use those terms, around here we teach a proper understanding of the effects and side effects of pool chemicals, we therefore try to refer to them by there chemical names or at least the short version of those chemical names. In the pool industry the term shock when applying to a product can mean any of about 5 or 6 chemicals, primarily liquid chlorine / bleach, dichlor, trichlor, cal-hypo, lithium-hypo, or even MPS (chlorine free shock), each one having different secondary effects that may be good or bad depending on the chemical balance of your pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Union, NJ
    Posts
    128

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    I am using the TF-100 FAS/DPD test. My CC is 1PPM. Water looks crystal clear.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    Ok, a few more questions, first off have you bee using any MPS based shock or other pool store magic potions (Yellow out, etc.)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Union, NJ
    Posts
    128

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    No. I used a pool store oxidizer (Do not recall the product name, but is a Chlorine Free Shock) a few months ago, but have not shock/oxydize since. Whenever I get high CC reading, I have been setting my SWG to 100% for 12 hours and it has been lowering my CC reading. However, I do not want to keep doing this, if there is a better way.



    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Ok, a few more questions, first off have you bee using any MPS based shock or other pool store magic potions (Yellow out, etc.)
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    I asked because some Yellow Out products directly produce CC, and MPS chlorine free shock will falsely show as CC on the common test. (there is a special test for MPS). Another question for you, how his is the CC getting, and does your pool get good sunlight exposure (is there a cover, etc.)? I am trying to see if there is an underlying cause for the CC that needs to be treated.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    "Chlorine Free Shock" is almost always MPS and that falsely shows up as either FC or CC depending on the type of test.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Union, NJ
    Posts
    128

    Re: Oxidizer vs shock

    Interesting. I have not used any in about 2 months. The funny thing is that today I tested again and my CC is 0 without me adding anything but muratic acid to lower my PH.


    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    "Chlorine Free Shock" is almost always MPS and that falsely shows up as either FC or CC depending on the type of test.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •