Coleman 16' x 48" - I've learned a lot so far from here, but still pondering the "to

Coleman 16' x 48" - I've learned a lot so far from here, but still pondering the "to

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the marvelous tips, tricks and humor!

First let me say about my new Coleman 16 x 48 ... is much nicer than I thought it would be for the sale price of $154. AND, thanks to all of you here, I am feeling like it is more of an investment than a little fun for a few weeks and maybe next summer...

Unfortunately, I was not within an inch of leveling which is quite apparent so will have to empty and perform level out process properly.

I did however already have the opportunity to play with my chemistry set and get the numbers right, but do see the pump and cartridge is not for us... So we will also need to put in a skimmer (cutting through the liner with all the awesome instructions posted here... But, this brings me to my new dilemma...

Chlorine or Salt? That is the one question, but I guess the first question would be is it possible to convert to salt with the Coleman?

Also, wouldn't mind opinions of setting up filter system to get a few weeks out of the pool before putting off until next year... Anyone think it is safe to do the leveling next year? In NC, and winters are hit or miss temp wise, typically not a lot of snow to weight it down so long as I empty some (I'm thinking half to play it safe, then empty rest beginning next spring and do the leveling then). I will have to remove rain from the top frequently though.

Thanks in Advance!

InTheWater

Re: Coleman 16' x 48" - I've learned a lot so far from here, but still pondering the

An Intex SWG, pump and sand filter would be a nice option to consider. Stay away from the cartridge filters from Intex, they just don't filter well enough. It will work with any pool, just may have to do some fitting configuration if they do not match.

An AG pool out of level can be a hazard to swimmers so I'd encourage you to level before using the pool much more this year and certainly before opening next spring.

Re: Coleman 16' x 48" - I've learned a lot so far from here, but still pondering the

Yes, you can definitely use an Intex SWG with your Coleman pool. If I'm not mistaken, both brands use the same fittings, so it should hook right up.

I say go for the SWG and Sand Filter Pump.
If you check out my signature you'll see that I have the same pool and have tossed the cartridge filter.

Fittings for the Coleman and Intex pools are compatible no adapters needed.

avixp36h.jpg

I also tossed the return/intake that came with the pool and replaced it with a Hayward SP1023 return fitting and 1914D return eyeball for better circulation.
Did yours come with two intakes instead of a return and an intake? Mine did.
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

geFqA1Kh.jpg

With the better and stronger pump you can vacuum the pool quite easily.
I just remove the screen from the intake and insert a 1/4 inch vacuum hose and that's it.
This also allows me to eventually use a pool robot such as an Aqua Bug.

o4wupAYh.jpg

As for adapters this one is my current favorite.
It came with the Intex SWG. It connects to my drain connection on the pump and allows me to use the same 1/4 inch or 1/2 vacuum hose as a backwash/waste hose as well.

qMjGhL8h.jpg

bCUOlD7h.jpg

Also, it's not "chlorine or salt." It will still be a chlorine pool.
With the SWG, you will just replace manually adding liquid chlorine daily.
The SWG generates the chlorine for you. (With an occasional boost of liquid chlorine for those heavy load days. No point in burning out the cell prematurely just to "boost" the chlorine level.)
Ditching the cartridge filter is probably the most effective upgrade you can do to the pool.
Both Intex and Bestway(Coleman) ship weak under powered filters by default with their pools.

I say go for the SWG and Sand Filter Pump.
If you check out my signature you'll see that I have the same pool and have tossed the cartridge filter.

Fittings for the Coleman and Intex pools are compatible no adapters needed.

avixp36h.jpg

I also tossed the return/intake that came with the pool and replaced it with a Hayward SP1023 return fitting and 1914D return eyeball for better circulation.
Did yours come with two intakes instead of a return and an intake? Mine did.
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

geFqA1Kh.jpg

With the better and stronger pump you can vacuum the pool quite easily.
I just remove the screen from the intake and insert a 1/4 inch vacuum hose and that's it.
This also allows me to eventually use a pool robot such as an Aqua Bug.

o4wupAYh.jpg

As for adapters this one is my current favorite.
It came with the Intex SWG. It connects to my drain connection on the pump and allows me to use the same 1/4 inch or 1/2 vacuum hose as a backwash/waste hose as well.

qMjGhL8h.jpg

bCUOlD7h.jpg

Also, it's not "chlorine or salt." It will still be a chlorine pool.
With the SWG, you will just replace manually adding liquid chlorine daily.
The SWG generates the chlorine for you. (With an occasional boost of liquid chlorine for those heavy load days. No point in burning out the cell prematurely just to "boost" the chlorine level.)
Ditching the cartridge filter is probably the most effective upgrade you can do to the pool.
Both Intex and Bestway(Coleman) ship weak under powered filters by default with their pools.

Curious about the intake....we bought a Coleman this year to replace our Intex and the intake valve on the out side just doesn't seem to tighten enough for our liking. Tried using our old Intex valve but the Coleman has a round interior and the Intex has an oval so not a good fit. Also curious as to why there are two intakes (B)? It appears the thread on the piece for the outside of the pool that connects to the valve isn't long enough to get a good tight fit.

Any suggestions????

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.