Thread: pH/Alkalinity question

1. Back To Top    #1

pH/Alkalinity question

So here are my water parameters:

TA 100
    pH 7.8
    FC 9
    CYA 80

Just last week, I put in muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.4 but a week later it is back up to 7.8. My TA is right where it should be so I am very confused. I am adding generic bleach from the grocery store...could it be that the bleach is raising the pH? I have read on other posts here that liquid bleach probably won't raise the pH that much.

Any advice??
    35k in ground plaster pool, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH/Alkalinity question

Who says your TA should be at 100ppm? Generally we recommend it be lower than that.

How old is your plaster? New plaster can cause the pH to rise for up to a year.
    If you have an aeration, that will also drive the pH up.
    And the higher TA will make the pH rise faster too.
    Also if your top off water has high TA and pH, that will drive it up as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. What do you recommend my TA to be? The test kit says 100-120 for chlorine pools. My plaster is 30 years old...getting it replaced this winter. And yes, I definitely need to check the top off (city water). Good call.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by glintontx View Post
    Thanks Jason. What do you recommend my TA to be? The test kit says 100-120 for chlorine pools. My plaster is 30 years old...getting it replaced this winter. And yes, I definitely need to check the top off (city water). Good call.
    What test kit?

Check this out: Pool School - Recommended Levels
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. The link says 70-90+ which mine is not too far from. Should i reduce it to 70? My test kit is the TFT-100 from TFTestKits. The laminated sheet that comes with the test says "100-120 for manually chlorinated pools."

6. Back To Top    #6

Just lower the TA until they pH stabilizes. Although once you get new plaster, it is going to rise faster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!