Just got my TF100 test kit

Aug 28, 2015
Greenwood Lake , ny
Just got my kit UPS ground. Came pretty quick. Only order it Friday.
Okay. Here is where I stand. Pool is cloudy but I can see the bottom in low end can't make out the bottom on Deep end. There is yellow brown algae on the bottom of the pool going down to deep were I can see. I vacuumed up the low end Sunday. Any help greatly appreciated. Haven't been able to use pool for last 5-6 weeks. Some numbers:
PH-7.2
FC-13
Total Alkalinity-60
CYA-70

Hi Oscar,
Ok, not as bad as it could be. Its workable.
pH is OK for now, TA is OK, CYA his higher than we like but its workable.

You need to SLAM the Pool. What that means is raise the FC to what we call SLAM (similar to shock), but only using liquid chlorine (a.k.a. bleach). Using any other form of stabilized chlorine will make your CYA get even higher, and that is not what you need.

The more often you can test, meaning multiple times a day, and replenish the chlorine, the quicker it will go. The first couple or 3 days are the most important.

You also need to brush the pool daily. Get that algae stirred up so the chlorine can get to it and kill it. If you dont brush, its gonna take a lot longer to kill it all.

With your CYA level of 70, your SLAM FC level is 28.
Do all you can to not let the FC drop below 28.

So, you need to raise your FC to 28, or slightly above, and MAINTAIN that FC level until
no more visible algae.
your CC is .5 or less
you pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

Do you know how to use pool math? This and your test kit will be your best friend.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

top left, enter your 30K gallons
In the FC row - box on left, enter your FC test result
The box to the righ of that, enter your "goal", in your case, 28.
then click the calculate button. (no need to do any of the other parameters until you get your algae taken care of.).

Getting rid of the algae is a process, not a 1 time thing. It might take a week or longer to get you fixed up, but if you stay with it, you will get rid of the algae and have the clearest water you've ever had.

Just got my kit UPS ground. Came pretty quick. Only order it Friday.
Okay. Here is where I stand. Pool is cloudy but I can see the bottom in low end can't make out the bottom on Deep end. There is yellow brown algae on the bottom of the pool going down to deep were I can see. I vacuumed up the low end Sunday. Any help greatly appreciated. Haven't been able to use pool for last 5-6 weeks. Some numbers:
PH-7.2
FC-13
Total Alkalinity-60
CYA-70

Oscar you might be better off with bleach from Walmart unless the pool store is super easy to get to. You are doing to need quite a few gallons to beat the algae monster.

Can you take and share a pic with us please?

Kim

• jpg.gif
    image.jpg (41.9 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Also... next time you're shopping for bleach use this formula: Price / ounces / percentage as a decimal = price per hypochlorite. Example: $3.00 / 128 ounces / 0.0825 (for 8.25% bleach) = $0.28 The lower this number is, the better. A good deal is anything around $0.20. It doesn't matter where you get the bleach or what the concentration is, it's that number that matters. And that it's fresh. Bleach degrades over time so check dates on bottles to see when they were made. Convenience factor of higher % bleach also comes into play for lugging jugs around and recycling.

Pool doesn't look too bad. Some cloudiness and definitely not that TFP sparkle... YET! Hopefully it's a quick SLAM process but have some patience and it will go fine.

Photo is after just vacuumed. Numbers have not changed. Just did test.
PH-7.2
FC-13 ( I would have thought it should have gone down since I havn't add chlorine.
TA-60
CYA-70
Took Bleach back to Hardware store. They tell us they sell HtH liquid Chlorine 4 gals for $15.00. Should I use this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well your FC level should be 28 based on the CYA/FC chart since you are SLAMing the pool. you need to test as often as you can, the goal is to keep your FC at 28 the entire time. you can go a few ppm higher to help give you some wiggle room between tests.

that's $3.75 a gallon. is it 10% or 8.25%?

can you remove the ladder and lights?

Danin. Thanks for the replies
It's 10% and Yes to the ladder I think but no with the fiber optic lights. Another problem I have is raising the FC to 28 as we are surposed to have an end of summer party Sunday. Will it be safe to swim in? Is it safe right now? Also pool is scheduled to be closed next week. Wish I would have found this site at the beginning of the summer!

At 10%, that's $0.28/hypochlorite. Not a good deal, but it will work. Check on pricing of 8.25% at a local big box or grocery store. Use that formula to check if it's cheaper (and fresh).

It is safe to swim at any FC up to the shock level for your CYA. It will be a bit more harsh on you suits and hair, but safe if you can also clearly see the bottom.

sent from mobile. beware of brevity and spelling errors.

Danin. Thanks for the replies
It's 10% and Yes to the ladder I think but no with the fiber optic lights. Another problem I have is raising the FC to 28 as we are surposed to have an end of summer party Sunday. Will it be safe to swim in? Is it safe right now? Also pool is scheduled to be closed next week. Wish I would have found this site at the beginning of the summer!

if your pool is as cloudy still as the picture looks, then no, its not safe. so many stories over the past couple of years with people drowning in pools because they could be clearly seen. not worth it. hit that pool really hard, you have 3 days you might be ok. but you are going to have to be very diligent in your testing and adding of chlorine. as far as safe to swim chemistry wise, yes it is. just let your FC fall below the shock level before the party...if the pool has cleared.

just curious, why cant you remove the lights?

No you just want to make sure there is no algae hiding behind lights, on the bottom of ladder steps or inside the ladder tubes.

Also, next time you buy "bleach" or "liquid chlorine" (same chemical) check for freshness by looking for a 5 digit code like 15240. That means it was bottled on the 240th day of 2015. Even at the same store, check that number!

If you can postpone closing until the water temperature is holding at 60 degrees or below, it will really help your odds of opening clear in Spring. That would also give you the time you need to fix everything now. Just a thought.

My lights are notorious for hiding algae and I clean them once/twice a year.

Also if you have never cleaned your ladders you may be surprised at what's hiding there. This year we have had a lot of pools with tons of sludge in there, depending on the type of ladder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.