Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my TF100 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got my TF100 test kit

Just got my kit UPS ground. Came pretty quick. Only order it Friday.
    Okay. Here is where I stand. Pool is cloudy but I can see the bottom in low end can't make out the bottom on Deep end. There is yellow brown algae on the bottom of the pool going down to deep were I can see. I vacuumed up the low end Sunday. Any help greatly appreciated. Haven't been able to use pool for last 5-6 weeks. Some numbers:
    PH-7.2
    FC-13
    Total Alkalinity-60
    CYA-70
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just got my TF100 test kit

Congrats on the new kit!

Time for you to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Oscar,
    Ok, not as bad as it could be. Its workable.
    pH is OK for now, TA is OK, CYA his higher than we like but its workable.

You need to SLAM the Pool. What that means is raise the FC to what we call SLAM (similar to shock), but only using liquid chlorine (a.k.a. bleach). Using any other form of stabilized chlorine will make your CYA get even higher, and that is not what you need.

The more often you can test, meaning multiple times a day, and replenish the chlorine, the quicker it will go. The first couple or 3 days are the most important.

You also need to brush the pool daily. Get that algae stirred up so the chlorine can get to it and kill it. If you dont brush, its gonna take a lot longer to kill it all.

With your CYA level of 70, your SLAM FC level is 28.
    Do all you can to not let the FC drop below 28.

So, you need to raise your FC to 28, or slightly above, and MAINTAIN that FC level until
    no more visible algae.
    your CC is .5 or less
    you pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

Do you know how to use pool math? This and your test kit will be your best friend.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

top left, enter your 30K gallons
    In the FC row - box on left, enter your FC test result
    The box to the righ of that, enter your "goal", in your case, 28.
    then click the calculate button. (no need to do any of the other parameters until you get your algae taken care of.).

Getting rid of the algae is a process, not a 1 time thing. It might take a week or longer to get you fixed up, but if you stay with it, you will get rid of the algae and have the clearest water you've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar477 View Post
    Just got my kit UPS ground. Came pretty quick. Only order it Friday.
    Okay. Here is where I stand. Pool is cloudy but I can see the bottom in low end can't make out the bottom on Deep end. There is yellow brown algae on the bottom of the pool going down to deep were I can see. I vacuumed up the low end Sunday. Any help greatly appreciated. Haven't been able to use pool for last 5-6 weeks. Some numbers:
    PH-7.2
    FC-13
    Total Alkalinity-60
    CYA-70
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Stock up on bleach, you are going to need a lot of it, many, many gallons!
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My wife got 10 gals of bleach at hardware store. Checked it online and it's only 3%. Have to bring it back. Going to a pool store in the morning that has liquid Chorine. OH Boy!
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oscar you might be better off with bleach from Walmart unless the pool store is super easy to get to. You are doing to need quite a few gallons to beat the algae monster.

Can you take and share a pic with us please?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

• image.jpg (41.9 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oscar477; 09-03-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: photo

8. Back To Top    #8

Also... next time you're shopping for bleach use this formula: Price / ounces / percentage as a decimal = price per hypochlorite. Example: $3.00 / 128 ounces / 0.0825 (for 8.25% bleach) = $0.28 The lower this number is, the better. A good deal is anything around $0.20. It doesn't matter where you get the bleach or what the concentration is, it's that number that matters. And that it's fresh. Bleach degrades over time so check dates on bottles to see when they were made. Convenience factor of higher % bleach also comes into play for lugging jugs around and recycling.

Pool doesn't look too bad. Some cloudiness and definitely not that TFP sparkle... YET! Hopefully it's a quick SLAM process but have some patience and it will go fine.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

that's not too bad Oscar. SLAM will get that pool in shape nicely. if you can remove the ladder, I would do that. Also, any lights should be removed from the niche
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

10. Back To Top    #10

Photo is after just vacuumed. Numbers have not changed. Just did test.
    PH-7.2
    FC-13 ( I would have thought it should have gone down since I havn't add chlorine.
    TA-60
    CYA-70
    Took Bleach back to Hardware store. They tell us they sell HtH liquid Chlorine 4 gals for $15.00. Should I use this?

11. Back To Top    #11

well your FC level should be 28 based on the CYA/FC chart since you are SLAMing the pool. you need to test as often as you can, the goal is to keep your FC at 28 the entire time. you can go a few ppm higher to help give you some wiggle room between tests.

that's $3.75 a gallon. is it 10% or 8.25%?

can you remove the ladder and lights?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Danin. Thanks for the replies
    It's 10% and Yes to the ladder I think but no with the fiber optic lights. Another problem I have is raising the FC to 28 as we are surposed to have an end of summer party Sunday. Will it be safe to swim in? Is it safe right now? Also pool is scheduled to be closed next week. Wish I would have found this site at the beginning of the summer!

13. Back To Top    #13

At 10%, that's $0.28/hypochlorite. Not a good deal, but it will work. Check on pricing of 8.25% at a local big box or grocery store. Use that formula to check if it's cheaper (and fresh).

It is safe to swim at any FC up to the shock level for your CYA. It will be a bit more harsh on you suits and hair, but safe if you can also clearly see the bottom.

sent from mobile. beware of brevity and spelling errors.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar477 View Post
    Danin. Thanks for the replies
    It's 10% and Yes to the ladder I think but no with the fiber optic lights. Another problem I have is raising the FC to 28 as we are surposed to have an end of summer party Sunday. Will it be safe to swim in? Is it safe right now? Also pool is scheduled to be closed next week. Wish I would have found this site at the beginning of the summer!
    if your pool is as cloudy still as the picture looks, then no, its not safe. so many stories over the past couple of years with people drowning in pools because they could be clearly seen. not worth it. hit that pool really hard, you have 3 days you might be ok. but you are going to have to be very diligent in your testing and adding of chlorine. as far as safe to swim chemistry wise, yes it is. just let your FC fall below the shock level before the party...if the pool has cleared.

just curious, why cant you remove the lights?
    Dan

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    that's not too bad Oscar. SLAM will get that pool in shape nicely. if you can remove the ladder, I would do that. Also, any lights should be removed from the niche
    Probably a newbie question, but you are supposed to remove the ladder and lights during a SLAM? Does the chlorine react with the metal and corrode it? I didn't see this in Pool School.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

No you just want to make sure there is no algae hiding behind lights, on the bottom of ladder steps or inside the ladder tubes.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Also, next time you buy "bleach" or "liquid chlorine" (same chemical) check for freshness by looking for a 5 digit code like 15240. That means it was bottled on the 240th day of 2015. Even at the same store, check that number!

If you can postpone closing until the water temperature is holding at 60 degrees or below, it will really help your odds of opening clear in Spring. That would also give you the time you need to fix everything now. Just a thought.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    No you just want to make sure there is no algae hiding behind lights, on the bottom of ladder steps or inside the ladder tubes.
    Makes sense. Thanks!
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

19. Back To Top    #19

My lights are notorious for hiding algae and I clean them once/twice a year.

Also if you have never cleaned your ladders you may be surprised at what's hiding there. This year we have had a lot of pools with tons of sludge in there, depending on the type of ladder.

20. Back To Top    #20

MarianParoo - good to know. Sounds like I better take my lights out and clean behind them...while the water is still warm.
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast