Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering FC with Citric Acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Lowering FC with Citric Acid?

Does anyone have any experience with using Citric Acid to lower FC levels. I have a pool that I am superchlorinating in order to eliminate algae, but there will be a renter coming on Friday. I want to hit it hard to kill the algae, but I need to have a way to get the FC back to safe levels quickly. Citric Acid should eat up FC pretty quickly, but I have no idea how much to add so that I don't eat up all of the FC and end up with algae again.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering FC with Citric Acid?

How high are you above SLAM levels for your cya?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

CYA is around 80. I raised FC to about 60 yesterday. I plan on adding more liquid chlorine tomorrow. Keep in mind I don't have the option to follow SLAM because I can't be there to monitor it closely. The best I can do is raise it plenty high and let it come down over the next day or two and hope I get back to add more before it gets too low.

I've run into similar situations, where it would be nice to have an option to bring FC back down quickly, often enough that knowing how much citric acid will eliminate FC would be a great tool to have on hand.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

4. Back To Top    #4

I've used Hydrogen Peroxide in the spa to neutralize excess chlorine before. Its been a while so I hope I'm recalling correctly...

I think its an even exchange- for example if I put 1 cup too much bleach in, 1 cup HP would bring it back down again.

I'm sure Chem Geek knows! ::yooohooooo! Chem Geek sir...help?::::

Addendum- what about Sodium Theosulphate? Its pricey I think though.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I've used Hydrogen Peroxide in the spa to neutralize excess chlorine before. Its been a while so I hope I'm recalling correctly...

I think its an even exchange- for example if I put 1 cup too much bleach in, 1 cup HP would bring it back down again.

I'm sure Chem Geek knows! ::yooohooooo! Chem Geek sir...help?::::
    I'm not sure hydrogen peroxide would be practical on the scale I'm dealing with. I might be looking at eliminating 50+ ppm, so it would take a significant amount of hydrogen peroxide. I don't have access to bulk quantities, so that would be a very interesting trip to the pharmacy.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

6. Back To Top    #6

They sell stuff at the pool store to reduce chlorine. I used it once upon a time years ago.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are looking at 50 ppm FC, try hitting the local pool stores for chlorine reducer (sodium thiosulfate) a little goes a LONG way (rate of 2.6 ounces weight of sodium thiosulfate to lower 1 ppm FC in 10,000 gallons, per Chem Geek) Otherwise I would consider the Hydrogen peroxide, just go clear out a couple of dollar stores where they sell it for under $1 per Qt.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I have used the Sodium Thiosulfate in the past, but the company I work for doesn't stock it. I keep Citric Acid on hand for metal stain removal, so I have plenty at my disposal. Making trips to the dollar store, or a pharmacy really eats into efficiency, so thats not a great option for me.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

9. Back To Top    #9

Probably not a good idea to use citric acid as (one of) the by-products of chlorine oxidation is chloroform. Peroxide is a better choice as the net result is [EDIT] correct reaction produces oxygen not water [END-EDIT] O2 and HCl.

You neutralize FC with oxidation by this rule - 3% H2O2 reduces 1ppm FC by the equivalent amount of 6% bleach that raises the FC by 1ppm. So in your pool volume, if it takes 20oz of 6% bleach to raise the FC by 1ppm, then 20 oz of 3% H2O2 will reduce the FC by 1ppm. This is a rough rule of thumb. As others have suggested, you can go to the pool store and buy the Baquacil Oxidizer product as it is something like 27% H2O2.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Probably not a good idea to use citric acid as (one of) the by-product of chlorine oxidation is chloroform. Peroxide is a better choice as the net result is H2O and HCl.

You neutralize FC with oxidation by this rule - 3% H2O2 reduces 1ppm FC by the equivalent amount of 6% bleach that raises the FC by 1ppm. So in your pool volume, if it takes 20oz of 6% bleach to raise the FC by 1ppm, then 20 oz of 3% H2O2 will reduce the FC by 1ppm. This is a rough rule of thumb. As others have suggested, you can go to the pool store and buy the Baquacil Oxidizer product as it is something like 27% H2O2.
    Isn't chloroform pretty volatile, and will off gas pretty quickly? Will the chloroform oxidize in the presence of chlorine?
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFiter View Post
    Isn't chloroform pretty volatile, and will off gas pretty quickly? Will the chloroform oxidize in the presence of chlorine?

Yes. But I also believe it forms malonic acid as well (according to some posts here on TFP) and this data would seem to suggest that malonic acid is very soluble in water and is an irritant.

While I'm sure you can probably use citric acid safely, especially if people stay out of the water for a while, I'd personally try to use something that does not generate hazardous chemical by-products, even if they are short lived. Just my personal opinion for what it's worth.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFiter View Post
    CYA is around 80. I raised FC to about 60 yesterday. I plan on adding more liquid chlorine tomorrow. Keep in mind I don't have the option to follow SLAM because I can't be there to monitor it closely. The best I can do is raise it plenty high and let it come down over the next day or two and hope I get back to add more before it gets too low.

I've run into similar situations, where it would be nice to have an option to bring FC back down quickly, often enough that knowing how much citric acid will eliminate FC would be a great tool to have on hand.
    I just want to point out here that you have doubled the amount of FC that is safe to use. For those reading we want to make sure that everyone understands that this is NOT a procedure recommended by TFP as it may lead to damage to the pool or equipment.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Just a FYI you can find Sodium Sulfite at Leslies's under the name: "Chlor Neutralizer"
    http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-c...eutralizer.htm

This is only one of the few things I will actually buy at Leslie's. Does a great job of getting the FC level down from a recent SLAM and passed OCLT situation where I have a swim party that I need to prepare for later in the day.

Here is the MSDS if interested:
    http://www.hillyard.com/images/msds/MSDSLES14256.pdf
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
    Just a FYI you can find Sodium Sulfite at Leslies's under the name: "Chlor Neutralizer"
    http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-c...eutralizer.htm

This is only one of the few things I will actually buy at Leslie's. Does a great job of getting the FC level down from a recent SLAM and passed OCLT situation where I have a swim party that I need to prepare for later in the day.

Here is the MSDS if interested:
    http://www.hillyard.com/images/msds/MSDSLES14256.pdf
    [EDIT] This statement is wrong - Chlorine oxidizes the sulfite into sulfate (chlorine goes to chloride). The actual reaction is sulfite reduces the hypochlorous acid to chloride and in the reaction the sulfite is turned into sulfate. [END- EDIT]. This might be ok to do in a vinyl pool or as one-off process to reduce FC but it is not something you want to do regularly in a plaster pool or a pool with an SWG as sulfates are bad for both. Again, peroxide will do the trick, you can get concentrated peroxide from the baquacil oxidizer (or raid your local drug store first aid section) and all it produces is excess acid; every other chemical will add things you don't want in the water.

Here's an EPA document on sulfur-based dechlorination methods.
    Last edited by JoyfulNoise; 09-01-2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Corrected incorrect chemistry statement
    Matt

15. Back To Top    #15

You quoted my post but I didn't write that? "Chlorine oxidizes the sulfite into sulfate (chlorine goes to chloride)" ?
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
    You quoted my post but I didn't write that? "Chlorine oxidizes the sulfite into sulfate (chlorine goes to chloride)" ?
    No no, I meant I wrote something incorrect....sorry, it's not obvious. My apology for the confusion. I sometimes go back and discover I wrote something incorrect and then I use the [EDIT][END-EDIT] code to show that I changed it rather than just editing it away. It's a way of preserving the mistake in case someone read it and then it's gone...I guess I should only use that when something I post get's quoted...
    Matt

17. Back To Top    #17

I would not use citric acid since as noted earlier in this thread chlorine will react with it to produce chloroform (and chloroform does not get rid of it through oxidation). Producing a smaller amount when removing metal stains is one thing, but you are talking about adding substantial quantities. Chloroform is volatile but not enough to count on it leaving the pool without substantial aeration. Chloroform absorbs through the skin and enters the bloodstream and can pass through the blood/brain barrier. Read Chlorine Poisoned and pregnant, how bad is this? While we do not worry about low levels, you would be producing substantial amounts given the high FC level. I would not use citric acid to lower the chlorine level.

I don't understand why you are opposed to using hydrogen peroxide since it will dechlorinate and only produce oxygen gas as its only side effect. You can get Baquacil Oxidizer which is 27% hydrogen peroxide at a reasonable price of $17 per gallon. It would only take 115 fluid ounces (around 3-1/2 quarts so somewhat less than one gallon) to lower the chlorine by 50 ppm in 10,000 gallons. By comparison, it would take 8 pounds of sodium thiosulfate (costing at least $45) to do the same dechlorination and would result in an increase in sulfates by as much as 75 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    I would not use citric acid since as noted earlier in this thread chlorine will react with it to produce chloroform (and chloroform does not get rid of it through oxidation). Producing a smaller amount when removing metal stains is one thing, but you are talking about adding substantial quantities. Chloroform is volatile but not enough to count on it leaving the pool without substantial aeration. Chloroform absorbs through the skin and enters the bloodstream and can pass through the blood/brain barrier. Read Chlorine Poisoned and pregnant, how bad is this? While we do not worry about low levels, you would be producing substantial amounts given the high FC level. I would not use citric acid to lower the chlorine level.

I don't understand why you are opposed to using hydrogen peroxide since it will dechlorinate and only produce oxygen gas as its only side effect. You can get Baquacil Oxidizer which is 27% hydrogen peroxide at a reasonable price of $17 per gallon. It would only take 115 fluid ounces (around 3-1/2 quarts so somewhat less than one gallon) to lower the chlorine by 50 ppm in 10,000 gallons. By comparison, it would take 8 pounds of sodium thiosulfate (costing at least $45) to do the same dechlorination and would result in an increase in sulfates by as much as 75 ppm.
    Its not that I'm against using Hydrogen Peroxide, I'm just trying to work with what I have readily available. I may just have to pick up a bunch of Hydrogen Peroxide.

Thanks everyone for your input.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

19. Back To Top    #19

Why not just use a Bisulfite?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

20. Back To Top    #20

Because he doesn't already have a chlorine reducer such as bisulfite and if that is used it can build up sulfates in the pool. This link does show sodium metabisulfite (sodium metabisulfite forms sodium bisulfite in water) at a reasonable price actually a little less than the hydrogen peroxide would cost (perhaps around $16 compared to $17). As noted in this post you only use 1.5 ounces of sodium metabisulfite per 10,000 gallons per 1 ppm FC compared to 2.6 for sodium thiosulfate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"